works great! but 2 things could be simpler...

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
bsmith1051

works great! but 2 things could be simpler...

Post by bsmith1051 »

I've got VirtualBox running a Windows 2000 image on my Ubuntu 7.04 machine and I couldn't be happier. This may finally allow me abandon Windows as my primary OS! I had several 'simple' problems, however, with the setup:

1. The install instructions didn't mention (not that I saw) that I needed to open the Terminal Window during the install and 'ok' the license. Couldn't this be done in the GUI? And, if this is open-source, why is there a license to agree to?

2. The Terminal Window told me about the need for group membership in 'vboxusers' but I thought it was saying it had already been done and I just needed to logoff, then login. Instead, I had to do it manually and then it only seemed to work after a full reboot. Again, no big problem, but the instructions could be clearer.

3. Finally, the "Guest Additions" section in the Help file doesn't tell you where to actually find them (/opt/virtualbox/additions). It also might help if you described them as 'native drivers' since that is what (virtually) they are.

Again, thank you for a great product!
Cogar

Post by Cogar »

1. Based on your question, it appears that you downloaded the proprietary version (PUEL), not the open source version.
2. The group vboxusers is automatically created during the installation of VirtualBox, but any users need to be added to the vboxusers group. Remember, in the Linux environment, people are not given permissions by default.
3. To install guest additions, with the guest is running in the windowed mode, select the menu option Devices --> Install Guest Additions
bsmith1051

Post by bsmith1051 »

I downloaded the binary for Ubuntu. If I downloaded the other one, would I have to compile it? It's no big deal, I accept the license, I just thought there might be a simpler way to notify the user that there was a license screen (i.e., not 'hidden' inside the Terminal window that one usually never need open).

Also, your suggestion re Guest Additions, I don't believe that's what listed in the official help file. Instead, I think the help file tells you to mount "the .iso" but then never tells you where it is. I had to go back and review the properties of the package (in Synaptic) to find it.
Cogar

Post by Cogar »

The Open Source Edition is a tarball and needs to be built. All of the binaries are distributed under the the terms and conditions of the Personal Use and Evaluation License.

Regarding the Guest Additions, I suppose it could be missed. From the User Manual:
4.2.1.1. Mounting the Additions ISO file

In the "Devices" menu in the virtual machine's menu bar, VirtualBox has a handy menu item named "Install guest additions", which will automatically bring up the Additions in your VM window.
Anyway, it looks like you now have everything under control. Good luck. :)