"Unable to allocate and lock memory" installing Ub

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
madodel

"Unable to allocate and lock memory" installing Ub

Post by madodel »

I'm trying to install Ubuntu 8.04 desktop on VirtualBox 1-5-6 build 9 on my T42p running eCS 2.0 RC1. I have 2GB RAM. I alot 1GB to Ubuntu. I get the following error after format of the virtual drive is done and it is about 15% into the install.

"Unable to allocate and lock memory. The virtual machine will be paused. Please close applications to free up memory or close the VM..

Error ID:
HostMemoryLow
Severity:
Non-Fatal Error"

There is still 446MB of Free RAM available at this point. Any idea what this means?
madodel

Post by madodel »

OK lowering the RAM assigned to the guest got it a lot further but then it filled up my drive and the install bombed. Guess the days of an operating system using less then 1GB are gone. Now I need to find more disk space to try this.
Yoda

Re: "Unable to allocate and lock memory" installin

Post by Yoda »

madodel wrote: "Unable to allocate and lock memory. The virtual machine will be paused. Please close applications to free up memory or close the VM..

There is still 446MB of Free RAM available at this point. Any idea what this means?
It is a known issue on TODO list. If you allocate more than 300MB
to the Guest, it will start using your Shared mem. That will end
with either the msg you see, when you have no more shared mem,
or you will crash your host system, because of missing shared mem.

Limit the Guest to 300MB
madodel

Post by madodel »

Thanks for the reply. Does that 300MB limit apply to all hosts or just OS/2?

Mark
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

madodel wrote:Thanks for the reply. Does that 300MB limit apply to all hosts or just OS/2?
I have no idea about *all* other hosts; but I think this is just an OS/2 problem.
hovh03

Post by hovh03 »

This hits me today, on a 4 Gig Windows Server 2003 machine. I can't even allocation 2 G on the guest, even there is plenty of memory left. I don't remember seeing this on Windows XP.
fivestar
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Linux

Re: "Unable to allocate and lock memory" installing Ub

Post by fivestar »

Thanks Yoda. I had the same error. Allocating 299mb for Base Memory fixed the issue. !!