VB 1.5.6 on Debian Lenny aborting

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
idiotein

VB 1.5.6 on Debian Lenny aborting

Post by idiotein »

Hi, i have been poking around my system for two days now, i have installed VirtualBox 1.5.6 on a Debian Lenny running 2.6.24-1-686 (Sid) kernel, every thing was smooth during install.
Module vboxdrv successfully built and loaded, user added to vboxusers group, writing permissions checked on /dev/vboxdrv, but anytime i want to start a vm install from cd drive or .iso, or just load one of my existing .vdi (I'm using VB on a suse system without problem) VB just abort. No output from the console, no error message.

At boot time all seems fine (part of /var/log/messages):

Code: Select all

vboxdrv: Trying to deactivate the NMI watchdog permanently...
vboxdrv: Successfully done.
vboxdrv: TSC mode is 'synchronous', kernel timer mode is 'normal'.
boxdrv: Successfully loaded version 1.5.6 (interface 0x00050002).
I tried installing with apt-get, with downloaded .deb and compiled VB from sources. Also tried OSE edition, every time with deleting pref in between (~.virtualbox)...

On the same machine (intel c2duo) I am already using KVM without problem, two vm at the same time, so it isn't a resources problem.

So, I am pretty much stuck here, any idea ?
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

The lines you posted are no error messages. Please could you try the following:
VirtualBox -startvm YOUR_VM_NAME
from a command line. Do you see any error messages? Do you get a core dump?
idiotein

Post by idiotein »

Thanks a lot for caring.

I know the dmesg output isn't one of an error, it was just to show every thing is loading fine and to rule out a watchdog interference.

If I start the vm from the command line all I get is a segfault, if tried from the gui VB doesn't crash, but just aborts the process. The VM I just tried is set with a fix size vdi image, and a Ubuntu alternate iso as boot cd.

I tried disabling Intel VT-X, network, sound, usb, anything not needed, with/without acpi, io_apic : segfault is the only answer i get.

I'm suspecting a cohabitation problem with another kernel module, I already unloaded kvm and i don't have anything exotic beside Nvidia driver and a uvcvideo webcam driver. I am using "evdev" as the mouse driver.

How could i get a core dump ?
idiotein

Post by idiotein »

Now the question is : how do i submit my core dump, and where ?
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

Thanks for the core dumps. So far we get a sane backtrace but we have still to investigate what is going wrong.
idiotein

Post by idiotein »

Still no clue about this problem, i installed a Debian Lenny 64 on the same machine, running the same 2.6.24-1 kernel, with Nvidia's blob, and had no problem running VB, so it must be a very specific problem with my settings, or with the i686 Lenny.

If you could get a clue from the core dumps I'd be glad to know about it since I wouldn't like to get stuck this way on a production machine...

I went through the install logs without finding any error.