Windows 2000

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
phantom
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 2000

Windows 2000

Post by phantom »

I was interested in trying out VirtualBox but when I try to install it I get this error: "This application only runs on Windows XP or above.". Is there any way to get VirtualBox to work on Windows 2000 Professional?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Only if you install 1.5.6 or older. The newer versions use specific system calls that are not available in 2000, like CPU Virtualisation.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
phantom

Post by phantom »

Sasquatch wrote:system calls that are not available in 2000, like CPU Virtualisation
Funny, I managed to run Virtual PC 2007 in Windows 2000 by modifying the installer slightly, and hardware virtualization seems to work just fine. This is clearly a case of a developer selectively excluding a perfectly useable OS without any technical reason.
sandervl
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Solaris

Post by sandervl »

phantom wrote:Funny, I managed to run Virtual PC 2007 in Windows 2000 by modifying the installer slightly, and hardware virtualization seems to work just fine. This is clearly a case of a developer selectively excluding a perfectly useable OS without any technical reason.
There are technical reasons for it, although they have nothing to do with cpu virtualization. We use system interfaces that aren't available in Win2k and do not wish to invest the time and resources to support this (host!) platform.
phantom

Post by phantom »

sandervl wrote:There are technical reasons for it, although they have nothing to do with cpu virtualization. We use system interfaces that aren't available in Win2k and do not wish to invest the time and resources to support this (host!) platform.
I like how you aren't specific about what's going on at all. It shows you're not really sure what the reason is.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

phantom wrote:I like how you aren't specific about what's going on at all. It shows you're not really sure what the reason is.
It would be too complicated to explain it, and even if he did, you probably wouldn't understand. Just keep it at what it is. Some functions they use isn't available on Win2k Host.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
sandervl
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Solaris

Post by sandervl »

phantom wrote:
sandervl wrote:There are technical reasons for it, although they have nothing to do with cpu virtualization. We use system interfaces that aren't available in Win2k and do not wish to invest the time and resources to support this (host!) platform.
I like how you aren't specific about what's going on at all. It shows you're not really sure what the reason is.
I know exactly what the reasons are and feel no obligation whatsoever to explain myself in great detail to somebody like you. Look at the source code yourself.
TerryE
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

phantom, having a pop at the developers is not helpful. The reasons for W2K being dropped as a host have been discussed before on this forum. I don't see why a user has the right to accuse one of the developers that they are "not really sure what the reason is" just because they don't want to go through these all again. Perhaps a more pertinent question is why you didn't just research these debates on the forum in the first place?

This discussion isn't a constructive one so this topic is locked.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.