[NotSupported] Low sound volume when playing videos in the Guest

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Dan P

[NotSupported] Low sound volume when playing videos in the Guest

Post by Dan P »

What if VirtualBox had a solution for the general low sound problem - found sporadically in various guests? This is not addressing one specific scenario, I just have had experience in Windows, Linux with low sound on occasion during the years I've used computers.

Would be nice. :)
Last edited by socratis on 25. Dec 2019, 22:30, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [NotSupported].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Low sound volume when playing videos in the Guest

Post by socratis »

Dan P wrote:What if VirtualBox had a solution for the general low sound problem
What if you started posting details and not generic comments?
Dan P wrote:found sporadically in various hosts and guests?
Sporadically? Each developer's favorite. And various? Such as?
Dan P wrote:This is not addressing one specific scenario
Pick one scenario, and let's try to tackle that then.
Dan P wrote:Would be nice.
Yeah, it would be nice if you described a specific problem. Because like this, your thread is most definitely headed for an [Invalid] or [WorksForMe] resolution. Pick your favorite... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Dan P

Post by Dan P »

I'm talking about a general lack of volume in various sources on the internet... For example: someone records a video on YouTube with the sound very low. The sound volume on the YouTube video playback screen may be all the way up... as well as all the other volumes...

Just looking for a rescue in these kinds of situations... A magic solution. One where VirtBox compensates for different deficiencies encountered with regards to sound volume.

Thank You.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Dan P wrote:For example: someone records a video on YouTube with the sound very low
Dan P wrote:A magic solution. One where VirtBox compensates for different deficiencies encountered with regards to sound volume.
I don't think this is ever going to happen. Would you ask that from Acer/Apple/Dell/HP/Lenovo/other? No you wouldn't. Plus, you would be having the same thing on physical hardware, I know I do.

Just because an OS/program that runs in the context of VirtualBox has a problem, it doesn't make it a VirtualBox problem necessarily. You're having an issue that has most probably nothing to do with VirtualBox, so my suggestion would be to treat it as such, as a native problem with the OS or the application of the guest.

Unless you find an equalizer application for your specific guest that outputs the same "enhanced" volume all the time, the hardware can't be looking at videos and compensate for your particular volume level...

Now that I understand better what you're looking for, marking the thread as [NotSupported]. And I've changed the title of the thread from "Low sound volume.... a lingering general problem" to something more appropriate.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Dan P

Re: [NotSupported] Low sound volume when playing videos in the Guest

Post by Dan P »

Would you ask that from Acer/Apple/Dell/HP/Lenovo/other? No you wouldn't.
With all due respect... If VirtBox implemented this, then that feature would be portable and available on any future PC I purchase... because I plan to run VirtBox on all of them. Problem solved.

Thank you for considering it at any rate.