VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED with Win10 10.0.18362 (#18536)

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows pre-releases (e.g. Windows 10 > build 10240).
Jacob Klein

Re: trying to run virtralbox

Post by Jacob Klein »

Okay. I have results on Windows 10 Build 13862, likely to be the v1903 build that will be released to the public shortly.
I also have a potential repro. Read on.

Without Hyper-V installed, I have no issues.

With Hyper-V installed, all 4 of my tests failed with errors:
Error 1 - 5.2.23 r129666 - Starting a cloned VM - VERR_SUPDRV_NO_RAW_MODE_HYPER_V_ROOT
Error 2 - 5.2.23 r129666 - Starting a VM from Import Appliance and .ova file - VERR_VMX_NO_VMX
Error 3 - 6.0.5 r129665 - Starting a cloned VM - VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED
Error 4 - 6.0.5 r129665 - Starting a VM from Import Appliance and .ova file - VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED

For my cloned VM, I used a local VM very similar to this .zip file, which I think you could use:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgP0NBEuAPQRp4Id8TYY-ZIbDWd5vw

For starting a VM from Import Appliance and .ova file, I used the free "MSEdge.Win10.VirtualBox - Version 1809" VM found here:
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/m ... tools/vms/

Attached is a zip of my config and log files.

Good luck fixing this!
Let me know if you want me to re-test. I don't normally use Hyper-V, but am available to help test solutions.

Regards,
Jacob Klein
Attachments
Config & Logs.zip
(145.15 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'll ignore the 5.x tests snce Hyper-V NEM support only existed after VirtualBox 6.0.0. 5.x. is completely incompatible with Hyper-v.

Were these pre-existing VMs? I ask because I see this error:
00:00:02.136981 NEM: Adjusting APIC configuration from X2APIC to APIC max mode. X2APIC is not supported by the WinHvPlatform API!
00:00:02.136983 NEM: Disable Hyper-V if you need X2APIC for your guests!
Which looks like it's saying that NEM API doesn't support the exact hardware simulation this Windows image was installed for.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

The cloned local VM was cloned from a pre-existing local VM. As I said. And I gave you a link to it. Perhaps being pre-existing invalidated the test, not sure.
The VM from Import Appliance was a freshly instantiated VM from the .ova file that I also gave you a link to.

Those should be enough for you to get your own repro's, right?
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

tarbear123:
My advice would be to uninstall Hyper-V, by going to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off > Unselect Hyper-V > OK
Be sure to restart twice, as my testing indicates that it actually takes 2 restarts to fully uninstall.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Jacob Klein wrote:The cloned local VM was cloned from a pre-existing local VM. As I said. And I gave you a link to it.
Useless to me: I don't have Hyper-v, nor am I planning to install it. All I'm looking for at the moment is an understanding of the issues so I can help others.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

Hi mpack,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

It's too bad that some of my efforts are useless to you.
I don't normally install Hyper-V either, or VirtualBox v6.x for that matter.
I'm stepping outside my comfort zone to provide a repro (most important!), and get answers, just like you're trying to do.
I provided as much info as I could, I think. But I'd be happy to answer more questions or perform more tests, if it means we can move toward solutions.

Thanks,
Jacob Klein
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Thank you Jacob for stepping in, after I specifically asked you to, to help clarify this, I really appreciate it going out of your way to verify the problem!

It seems that this indeed may be a bug with the new Insider Builds. Not sure that the developers are aware of that and/or working on a solution. It seems to me that it might become more prominent now that we're getting closer to the 1903 (or 1904) release update.

A ticket was opened about this, ticket #18536: error however i try to change my system. I know that the title of the ticket is nothing close to representing the situation, but neither is the thread's title, hey you can't win them all. I'll link the ticket and the discussion, hopefully the devs already know about this...

I think I'm going to change the thread's title to something more appropriate...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

You're welcome.
One thing I didn't yet do, is to perform the tests on my Release partition. If real life work lets up, I may do that and chime back in here.
Btw, the upcoming version will be v1903, it'll be called the April 2019 update, it will likely be the current build that we have, 18362, and I bet it'll be available to seekers within the next 2 weeks. Fun times!
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED with Win10 10.0.18362 (#18536)

Post by socratis »

Jacob Klein wrote:the upcoming version will be v1903, it'll be called the April 2019 update, it will likely be the current build that we have, 18362
Oh boy! :?
The problem is that you tested the latest and greatest of the TestBuilds from 2019-03-28, 6.0.5 r129665. Here's the thing:
  • "... 18362, and I bet it'll be available to seekers within the next 2 weeks..."
  • That's around the time (2019-04-16) that I suspect that 6.0.6 and 5.2.28 are going to become available, based on Oracle's security update schedules. See https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topi ... 86861.html
  • I think it would be wisest for the problem to have been addressed by the time that both of the releases happen...
Which means that "tarbear123" and the ticket OP will have to keep a closer eye in the next couple of weeks on the Test Builds. A really close eye...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

I have learned to become very patient with the VirtualBox devs. I too expect bugs to be fixed, but even things like the last-snapshot-bug has persisted since 6.0's release around 12/18/2018, with my ticket https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/18212 being opened on 12/20/2018. The fix still isn't in a public release yet.

We're getting a bit off topic, but my point is... It won't surprise me much (anymore), if we need to wait on Oracle devs for a fix.
Documentation and steps to reproduce, are very important. And patience usually prevails. And I am here to try to help.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Jacob Klein wrote:Documentation and steps to reproduce, are very important. And patience usually prevails. And I am here to try to help.
+1

It's funny that I had set the thread on the side (one of too many open tabs) and I took a look at the bugtracker. And at the same time that I found the ticket, you were commenting here! I love those random synchronizations... ;)
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

I tried the "Starting a VM from Import Appliance and .ova file" using a fully patched public release, Windows 10 v1809 Build 17763.404, using Oracle VirtualBox v6.0.5 Test Build 129665.

Here's a link again to get the v1809 guest ova:
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/m ... tools/vms/

With Hyper-V disabled, worked great, no errors, shows a blue V in the window's status bar.
With Hyper-V enabled, I didn't get an error, but the VM never showed a display, and had a green turtle V in the window's status bar. Task Manager also was funky - showing that a process was using CPU, but the Details tab did not list the process! And clicking close on the VM window, did nothing. Yikes.

Not the result I expected. Could one of you guys confirm?

Regards,
Jacob
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Jacob Klein wrote:Not the result I expected. Could one of you guys confirm?
Jacob, what you're seeing is your VM actually running, but in speeds/capabilities of an 80486 CPU! If you leave it running for a couple of hours (haven't done the test), it *will* eventually show up.

It's just that it's slower than molasses in the Arctic circle, during winter time!
(my favorite phrase to describe the green tortoise ;) )
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

Thanks, I will re-test at some point to confirm.

I basically wanted to get a quick test in with v1809 host, before my release partition goes v1903 :)
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

It was just announced today that:
- This version of Windows 10, will actually be called "Windows 10 May 2019 Update".
- It will become available to non-Insiders sometime in late May 2019.
- There will be new Windows Update controls/buttons, to allow users more control on whether to immediately get it (think: Now Opt-In instead of Opt-Out, except in cases where their current version will lose support).

Details here:
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... ansparency

Sorry for any prior confusion. This is all brand new news, for us Insiders too.