How to install SATA driver (AHCI) for Windows Xp Home Guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Ranguno
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows Xp Home

How to install SATA driver (AHCI) for Windows Xp Home Guest

Post by Ranguno »

Hello,

to speed up the Guest I want to switch my two disks from IDE to SATA according to the following instructions:

(1) Shut down the Guest
(2) Add a SATA controller without a device
(3) Start the Guest, Xp will ask for the SATA driver
(4) Install the SATA driver
(5) Shut down the Guest
(6) Remove the two disks from the IDE controller and connect it to the SATA controller
(7) Start the Guest

To (4): The manual 6.0.0 says in chapter 6.1. (Hard Disk Controllers):
Oracle VM VirtualBox recommends the Intel Matrix Storage drivers, which can be downloaded from http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product ... uctID=2101
This site shows a table with two links in two lines, where each linked site provides a "Get Started" button. However, these buttons refer to the current system, and since I refuse to go online by Xp, it's Win 8.1. Finally I found a site "Intel® Matrix Storage Manager" with a previously released version referring to Windows Xp.

My questions are:

(a) Where can I get the latest version?
(b) Which of the downloads should I use (IATA89CD.exe, f6flpy3289.zip, f6flpy6489.zip, IATA89ENU.exe)? I think it's f6flpy3289.zip.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: How to install SATA driver (AHCI) for Windows Xp Home Guest

Post by andyp73 »

Ranguno wrote:to speed up the Guest I want to switch my two disks from IDE to SATA according to the following instructions
The disk controllers are emulated and so the difference in performance that you would see from changing it will probably be fairly minimal. The defaults in the templates are there as they provide the most common controller type used by that operating system.
Ranguno wrote:(2) Add a SATA controller without a device
(3) Start the Guest, Xp will ask for the SATA driver
(4) Install the SATA driver
(5) Shut down the Guest
(6) Remove the two disks from the IDE controller and connect it to the SATA controller
(7) Start the Guest
Windows XP was always picky about hardware changes and as I recall also handled disk controllers differently if they were to be booted from rather than just an add on controller for extra disks. Don't be surprised if this doesn't work as you expect!
Ranguno wrote:Which of the downloads should I use (IATA89CD.exe, f6flpy3289.zip, f6flpy6489.zip, IATA89ENU.exe)? I think it's f6flpy3289.zip.
The contents of f6flpy3289.zip would be unpacked to a floppy disk and given to the Windows XP installer during the text mode portion of the installation (at the prompt that said something along the lines of "Press F6 to install additional drivers". More likely, if you have Windows XP already installed then you would want some of the contents of the .exe file.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Here's my theologians proven, scientists tested, and politicians verified explanation: ;)
  • f6flpy3289.zip: Floppy, 32-bit, version 8.9.
  • f6flpy6489.zip: Floppy, 64-bit, version 8.9.
  • IATA89ENU.exe: English-only, 32/64-bit, version 8.9, all OSes.
  • IATA89CD.exe: CD-image, 32/64-bit, version 8.9, all OSes, all languages.
The first two are used during installation, the other two after you've already installed WinXP, as Andy said.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ranguno

Post by Ranguno »

@andyp73 @ socratis: You're right, the driver installation worked by an ".exe" file, manually executed, Xp didn't ask. I chose "IATA89ENU.exe".

And indeed, the speed gain is slight (4,8 %), I copied 1 GB (206 files) in 59 seconds by SATA and in 62 seconds by IDE.

I don't think it's worth the risk of using SATA which I assume. Or would you say there is no additional risk?
Last edited by Ranguno on 29. Dec 2018, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

There can be a lot of complications related to getting the SATA drivers working (booting, reactivation), but if they are already working then I'm not aware of any additional risk.
Ranguno

Post by Ranguno »

@mpack: Including defragmentation and zeroing out by "sdelete.exe -z"?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The SATA controller has no influence on either of those.
JohnFlow32934

Post by JohnFlow32934 »

As Intel keeps changing (and thereby breaking) URLs let me add https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... l%20matrix which worked for me as of today.