Using an existing VMware system: quite a challenge

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Jones

Using an existing VMware system: quite a challenge

Post by Jones »

VirtualBox is a very promising product, especially because it's *fast*. Faster than VMware, faster than Microsoft Virtual PC.

However, porting an existing VMware system can be an exceptional challenge. It took me several days to get my XP VMware system to work on VirtualBox.

STOP errors, exceptionally poor performance of the VM and an incredibly high CPU load on the host. No easy problems, no quick solutions.

It helps to search the Net for similar errors. Most problems are Windows problems, not VirtualBox problems. Search for the STOP error that you get and apply the solution (for the other VM product, sometimes for an entirely different CPU...).

I found that changing the Processor type to 'Standard PC' solves most problems and besides that, inside VirtualBox it works faster than ACPI or MPS.

Also, using Acronis tools, I replicated the VMware disk to a native VirtualBox disk. It runs faster and more stable.

How to migrate a Virtual PC system to VirtualBox? Easy. Use VMware Converter (freeware tool). First, convert Virtual PC into VMware, then turn the VMware disk into a native VirtualBox disk. It works.

On the other hand, freshly installing XP/2003 on an empty VirtualBox disk is easy and fast. Not a single problem.

I just wanted to say 'Thank You' for VirtualBox. A really outstanding product.
LCfan

Post by LCfan »

How to migrate a Virtual PC system to VirtualBox? Easy. Use VMware Converter (freeware tool). First, convert Virtual PC into VMware, then turn the VMware disk into a native VirtualBox disk. It works.
Hi Jones,

I had a look into vmware converter, but I couldn't find a way to convert the vmdk file into a vdi file. How did you converted it?

Andreas
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

LCfan wrote:
Hi Jones,

I had a look into vmware converter, but I couldn't find a way to convert the vmdk file into a vdi file. How did you converted it?

Andreas
It should be mentioned in the Manual. Else, you can find it in the Tutorial: All about VDIs.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.