Vista and folder shares

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
drone1

Vista and folder shares

Post by drone1 »

I have Vista Ultimate w/ SP1 up and running on VBox 1.6.4 on gentoo 64bit, and can not for the life of me get the VBox folder share to come up. Yes, additions are installed..... (just upgraded from 1.6.2, which I couldn't get folder sharing to work in either)

Firewall is disabled, and I'm pulling an IP fine. I can browse to the 'Vista' PC through the network, however 'vboxsvr' does not exist, nor does 'WORKGROUP' if I try that. Have tried starting and disabling miscellaneous services, however I've made no progress.

I have another machine which is running VBox 1.6.2, again on 64bit Gentoo, with a WinXP guest, and folder shares work fine.... Only caveat there, is its using virtualbox-bin.

I can't see virtualbox(OSE) vs. virtualbox-bin being the issue here. Of all the previous set ups of VBox that I've run across, from my perspective, this is a Vista issue, not a VirtualBox issue.

Anyone care to shed some light as what might make this work?

Again, no problems with the VBox installs, or the Guest, Host stability.
sinkers

Post by sinkers »

I wish I could shed some light but I am having a near identical problem.

Vista Host with XP Guest and I can't see shared folders at all. I can map a drive over the network if I share from the Host but cannot get anything to work with built in shared folders which is my preference.

Anyone else have ideas?
BDKMPSS

Post by BDKMPSS »

same here...

Windows Vista Busness 32 Guest and same but 64 as Host.
Same issue with Debian Lenny 32Bit though
<German>
"Sozialismus ist der Versuch die Gesellschaft mit verordneter und erzwungener Freiheit zu unterdrücken."
(2007-07-24)
</German>
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

"net use" checked like described in the UserManual?
sinkers

Post by sinkers »

I have definitely been through the manual a number of times to work out why this no longer works for me.

Noting that it used to work for a previous virtual machine on the same host and I have recently installed another XP guest and now shared folders just don't happen.

Note the error I get with net use is:
System error 67

The network name cannot be found
sinkers

Post by sinkers »

Not sure if this will work for anyone else but I found that my Guest Additions wasn't at the latest version so I updated and now the mapping to the shared folder seems to be working OK.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

That helped me a while ago.

Before 1.62 there was this error for vista guests. ACL must be disabled.

But now with 1.64 on Host and Guest Additions 1.64 this works perfect for me.