Windows 98 guest on windows Xp host (blue screen of death)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
DemoneNero
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: VirtualBox+Oracle ExtPack
Guest OSses: MS Windows 98

Windows 98 guest on windows Xp host (blue screen of death)

Post by DemoneNero »

I just tried virtualbox really an amazing software, however I already need help :D I tried the search function but I did not find anything related to my problem, so I started this topic
I'm usin Win xp as a host to run Windows 98, and I get quite a few bsod :( I tried changin RAM, CPU speed, VGA memory, I tried 2 different Win98 boot disks nothing :evil: .
When I'm almost done with windows 98 installation I get this one (I tried with 2 different win98 images)
Edit: Actually if I remove the floppy controller I don't get it :D
Then after installing SciTech Display Doctor I restart the system and I get this one
And last I set the SciTech Nucleos driver
I restart and I get the final error
And I can run the system only in safe mode, now If I install "bearwindows driver" everything works fine but that driver does not provide any kind of 3D hardware acceleration (DirectX & OpenGL) :(
Any suggestions ? thanks a lot in advance
Last edited by DemoneNero on 5. Jul 2017, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 98 guest on windows Xp host (blue screen of death)

Post by mpack »

What are this several boot disks that you tried? Where did they come from?

The best way to install Win98 is actually to install Win98SE, and from an official setup CD. Some of the drivers I see mentioned in those BSODs are not familiar to me, and the reliance on shaky VxDs is less in SE.

That all said, you should enable VT-x in the VM. VT-x can't guard against drivers that have no business being in a VM, but it can protect against a number of nasty code issues.

I'll also remind you that Win98x is not a supported guest OS. If it works, great. If it doesn't then nobody is going to care much. Basically you should be using XP or later if you want a Windows guest for actual work.
DemoneNero

Post by DemoneNero »

Thanks a lot for the quick reply :)
So I tried 2 boot disk, I don't know if I am allowed to post links since those boot disks are copyrighted material :oops: one was taken from xxxxxxxxxx and the other one is called "Windows 98 Second Edition (OEM Full)" (if you google that you will get the relevant information). I know that Win98x is not a supported guest OS but I saw someone on youtube installing that OS and managing to run SciTech Display Doctor :D here: http://www.squakenet.com/guides/install ... virtualbox, VT-x was already enabled
Thanks
Last edited by mpack on 5. Jul 2017, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove name of warez site.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Please do not use this site to encourage copyright theft, which includes asking for help with pirated software and mentioning sites where it can be found. I have edited your post to remove the latter indication. Actually providing a warez link would have resulted in an instant and permanent ban, so no, you had best not do that.

This site has its own tutorials (see "Howtos and Tutorials" section), which are the only ones we pay attention to.
towo2099
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Android, Linux

Post by towo2099 »

Windows XP as host and a pirated Win98 is saying all.
No fourther attention needed.
DemoneNero

Post by DemoneNero »

Sorry guys I apologize, however I still have an original Windows 98 second edition (italian version) original cd , so what do you suggest me ? to make an iso of that disk and install that, is windows xp a reasonable OS to use as a host? and so can I ask questions here about my problem? viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33359
thanks for not banning me :wink:
towo2099
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Android, Linux

Post by towo2099 »

is windows xp a reasonable OS to use as a host?
Kidding? XP is dead since years, so XP is reasonable for nothing.
DemoneNero

Post by DemoneNero »

Well I'm a "retrogamer" I know that Xp is no longer supported and 32 bit versions ( the one that I use ) have RAM limitations and on top of that I have a 8 year old PC :shock:, most old games run well but a handful of them need Windows 98.
Anyway I will get a new pc with Windows 7 or 8 I hope that it will be good for virtualization
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

towo2099 wrote:Kidding? XP is dead since years, so XP is reasonable for nothing.
That I disagree with. A great many people still use XP, you see it everywhere. If it works it's a perfectly reasonable choice, especially if you have no intention of upgrading the hardware or using the internet. It uses far fewer resources than any later OS, so will positively fly on quite moderate hardware. For that reason it also makes an excellent VM. Hardware drivers are still readily available. The main practical difficulty these days is that the last official installer is ancient and doesn't recognize half the hardware it'll see (you have to install the native OS before you can install driver updates). Ideally you'd slipstream your own install, or use SysPrep and disk imaging tools.

VirtualBox v5.x still works on XP hosts, but it is not supported there. 4.3.x was the last branch of VirtualBox that officially supported XP.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

mpack wrote:VirtualBox v5.x still works on XP hosts, but it is not supported there. 4.3.x was the last branch of VirtualBox that officially supported XP.
And VirtualBox 4.3 is not supported, period. But of course old versions don't magically stop working just because they're unsupported.

The HSFLOP VxD (actually HSFLOP.PDR) is a Windows 98 component, stands for High-Speed Floppy. If someone can provide a reproduction scenario, we may or may not look into it.

The sddhelp VxD is of course a component of SciTech Display Doctor. If that doesn't work, well, that's just how it is.
DemoneNero

Post by DemoneNero »

Thanks for the replies, I used an older version "VirtualBox-4.0.36-104075-Win" and everything works fine :D and I also get a nice sound it used to sound like an old scratchy record now it's fine :D
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

4.0.x is considerably older then the 4.3.x, and even 4.3.x was not recommended, so 4.0.x is most definitely not recommended. The only thing said about 4.3.x was that it's the last version which officially supported XP hosts.

4.0.x is missing several features that have become key, such as cloning of VMs. It also doesn't support USB3, though with an XP host that may not be an issue.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Personally I operate on the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" motto, and if my host and guests were happily running on 4.0.36 I wouldn't upgrade until I needed to.
DemoneNero

Post by DemoneNero »

mpack wrote:4.0.x is considerably older then the 4.3.x, and even 4.3.x was not recommended, so 4.0.x is most definitely not recommended. The only thing said about 4.3.x was that it's the last version which officially supported XP hosts.

4.0.x is missing several features that have become key, such as cloning of VMs. It also doesn't support USB3, though with an XP host that may not be an issue.
Well I'm going to get a new pc soon :D, 4.0x will do until then