I can not connect my virtual server 2003, pls help!

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
mccrash

I can not connect my virtual server 2003, pls help!

Post by mccrash »

hello all

I am newbie of virtualbox but I liked it.It seems working very good. But I have some questions not solved?

First of all, I decide to setup windows 2003 server on my guest and Everything was fine. Internet works properly too.

But It takes 10.0.2.15 ip but my router's ip range 192.168.2.X. Maybe this cause that I can not acccess to "\\10.0.2.15" server works on guest from host.It says "specified network path not found". but I can access host computer from guest using host computer ip. my host computer has windows xp operating system.

Secondly ,if first problem can solve, Which configuration on guest system that I have to change to make guest iis server accesible for all computers in my intranet.

thank you for your help
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

When a client tries to connect to an SMB host it uses UDP ports 137, 138 and 445, and TCP ports 139, and 445. With Windows OSs you can't change these. What NAT allows you to do is to connect from the guest outbound but the NAT driver uses the host as a proxy here, so to the far end it looks as if the connection is coming from a host port.

What you can do with NAT is to use the setextradata command to map specific host ports to guest ones (See the UG section 6.4.1). So that connecting to host:8888 is the same as connecting to guest:80 etc. The problem is that you cannot map ports below 1000 on a Linux host and on a windows host these ports are already used by the hosts SMB service.

So the bottom line is that if you want your guest to advertise common windows services, then you can't use NAT. You must use a bridged configuration.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
mccrash

Post by mccrash »

Thank you TerryE

but can you give me some detailed information how can I create "bridged configuration" so that my host windows xp with ip=192.168.2.2 and guest windows server 2003 with ip=10.0.2.15.
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

How about starting with the section in the user guide on this?

note that in a bridged network the guest will acquire its IP address on the network and this will not be 10. anything unless you reconfigure your router / DHCP server
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
mccrash

Post by mccrash »

Hi Terry,

Thank you for your help, I solved my problem. It working now

thanks again.
Virtual11

Making my VirtualBox visible to outside world

Post by Virtual11 »

Hi Mccrash
How did you solve your problem, can you please post the detailed steps.

I am running VirtualBox (Win 2003) on Solaris 10 (on Sun X4150 Server), I need my Virtual Machine accessible from the Internet.

Thanks
mccrash

Post by mccrash »

Hi Virtual11,

First of all, My host and guest operating system are both windows operating system.Host has windows xp, guest has windows 2003 server.

I will explain my steps, I hope it works for you.

step1: open virtualbox go to network settings. I think you have 1 adapter called as "Adapter 0".

You will see "Host Interfaces" in this screen. There are two buttons "+" and "-" located at the right of this section. Click "+" sign. it will create new interface in your network connection.

choose right adapter from "Adapter Type". Chose "Host Interface" from "Attached to" then you will see your new interface name in "Interface Name"

Click Ok and Close virtualbox

step 2: go to network connections on windows. Select your active Lan connection and newly created interface and right click to choose "Bridge connections" . It will create new network bridge.

Right click network bridge and choose "tcp/ip" and you will give static values for your host machine

in my configuration:
ip address:192.168.2.20
subnet mask:255.255.255.0
default gateway:192.168.2.1--assigned by modem

additional values not required but you can assign if necessary .

step3: run your guest operating system. we will give static values to guest operating system:

go to "tcp/ip" again and assign values.

in my configuration:
ip address:192.168.2.21
subnet mask:255.255.255.0
default gateway:192.168.2.1--assigned by modem,again

additional values not required but you can assign if necessary .

"repair" the connection of guest.

now, you may be able to access host with 192.168.2.20 and guest with 192.168.2.21 IPs.

thats all.

I hope this information help people have same problem.

Good luck.
mccrash
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

For access to internet with the above method, it is required to enter a DNS server. The router address is a good start (mostly the same address as your gateway).
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.