Copy and Paste between Multiple MS-DOS 6.21 Virtual Machines?

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
Clueless in Seattle
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: MS-DOS

Copy and Paste between Multiple MS-DOS 6.21 Virtual Machines?

Post by Clueless in Seattle »

I'm an old guy who still has a lot of fun running my old DOS programs under MS-DOS 6.21. But the old laptop and PC that I'm running MS-DOS on are showing signs that they've reached the end of their useful lives. So a BBS friend suggested that I try running MS-DOS in a virtualbox under Windows on a newer machine.

I'd like to give this a try, so I'm checking in here to see if I could find someone who might be willing to help me get this set up.

Right now I'm using the DOSSHELL task switcher, that I believe came with MS-DOS 4.0, so that I can run multiple DOS programs simultaneously. What I'd like to be able to do is use virtualbox as a kind of multitasker to set up multiple DOS virtual machines, so that I could be running different DOS programs simultaneousy. For example, one machine would be dedicated to my text editor, and another to my database program, and so forth. What I'm wondering is whether I would be able to use the Windows clipboard on the host machine to copy and paste text between the different virtual guest machines running under virtualbox.

I tried searching this forum for MS-DOS 6.21 but got this error "ignored: ms 6 21"

I'm also wondering if I could use my Windows host machine so that it would allow the MS-DOS virtual machines to access USB hard drives and/or flash drives. But that's another topic, so I'll save that for another thread.
Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Copy and Paste between Multiple MS-DOS 6.21 Virtual Machines?

Post by mpack »

"Showing signs"? Twenty years after everyone else abandoned DOS? :wink:

DOS doesn't have a concept of a clipboard, nor does the OS know anything about running multiple tasks running at once, so I doubt that copy and paste is a meaningful concept for that OS.

You can find discussion of DOS in the "Other Guests" forum, also check out the Tutorials area.

p.s. Perhaps DOSBOX is a better fit for your needs than VirtualBox.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Regarding the error in the forum search: the forum search is really clunky, and it hiccups on three-or-less-letter words. So even searching the prosaic "USB" yields no results. But of course someone must have mentioned USB by now...

A better search can be had by using Google or Bing and adding to your search terms this:

Code: Select all

site:forums.virtualbox.org
site: and a website limits the search engine's results to the designated website.

Copying and pasting between Virtualbox guests and between guests and the host requires Guest Additions, and there are no Guest Additions for DOS. DOS is apparently able to network into a Windows network with appropriate drivers, so you could at least pass files around.
Clueless in Seattle

mpack wrote:You can find discussion of DOS in the "Other Guests" forum
Dang! That's the forum that I meant to post in. But I apparently got those two "other" forums mixed up in my addled old brain and ended up posting here by mistake. :?

Can someone move this thread over to the other "Other" forum?

Or should I just start a new thread over there?
Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

No need, I just moved this topic to the correct forum. Thanks for pointing this out, as I hadn't noticed.
Clueless in Seattle

mpack wrote:"Showing signs"? Twenty years after everyone else abandoned DOS? :wink:
Yeah, I'm afraid I'm something of a hoarder, and a nostalgist too. So it's hard for me to let go of stuff that gives me enjoyment. I'm working on downsizing and decluttering, but it's a slow and arduous process for me.
DOS doesn't have a concept of a clipboard, nor does the OS know anything about running multiple tasks running at once, so I doubt that copy and paste is a meaningful concept for that OS.
I seem to recall that back in the day there may have been at least one DOS multitasking program on the market, but I'll be danged if I can remember what it was called.
p.s. Perhaps DOSBOX is a better fit for your needs than VirtualBox.
Thanks for that tip, mpack. I just checked over on the DOSBOX forum and found that "Dosbox is for games only and the developers are very outspoken about this. You seem to have found one more reason why non games or even worse, mission critical software, shouldn't be run on dosbox." So it looks like I'm going to have to keep searching for a way to keep running my beloved old DOS software.
Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Clueless in Seattle wrote:I seem to recall that back in the day there may have been at least one DOS multitasking program on the market, but I'll be danged if I can remember what it was called.
Windows maybe? I still remember those 5 1/4 floppy disks. It has evolved since. A lot. Now its multi-crashing...
Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

But, seriously now, Windows 3.x or Windows 95/98 might actually be better for you than two separate DOS-based VMs. If I'm not mistaken, the Command Prompt of Windows (which pretty much was DOS, on top of Windows, on top of DOS) had the capability to do Copy/Paste between two Command Prompt windows. And they had great DOS compatibility. They were both from the same company...

OK, scratch Windows 3.x. It doesn't have a notion of Copy/Paste between MS-DOS Prompts (as they were called). Windows 98 (don't have 95) on the other hand, has it right on its MS-DOS window toolbar!
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

DESQview had some kind of cut&paste functionality between text mode DOS programs.
Clueless in Seattle

Martin wrote:DESQview had some kind of cut&paste functionality between text mode DOS programs.
Yes! That was it! Thanks, Martin, for jogging my memory!
Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"
Clueless in Seattle

socratis wrote:
Clueless in Seattle wrote:I seem to recall that back in the day there may have been at least one DOS multitasking program on the market, but I'll be danged if I can remember what it was called.
Windows maybe? I still remember those 5 1/4 floppy disks. It has evolved since. A lot. Now its multi-crashing...
Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)
Thanks for that laugh, socratis. I needed it. (Having a rough day).

As for the DOS multitasker, Martin nailed it: DESQview.
But, seriously now, Windows 3.x or Windows 95/98 might actually be better for you than two separate DOS-based VMs. If I'm not mistaken, the Command Prompt of Windows (which pretty much was DOS, on top of Windows, on top of DOS) had the capability to do Copy/Paste between two Command Prompt windows. And they had great DOS compatibility. They were both from the same company...
Yes! That was my first thought for a DOS mulitasker. But with Win 95/98 I would still run into the hardware problem I'm facing now with MS-DOS itself, i.e., that newer computers won't reliably run MS-DOS anymore. Is that correct? If so, then when my old laptop and PC finally die, I'm going to need to find a way to keep running my old DOS software on more current hardware. That's why I was hoping I could find a way to make virtualbox work for me. How about running Windows 95 under virtual box? That might give me the best of both worlds: Compatibility with modern hardware via virtualbox, and cut-and-paste multi-tasking in a DOS environment under Windows 95/98. What do you think?

Whew! This is a lively forum. I'm impressed by all the speedy and knowledgeable replies I've received since my first post this morning. But now I'm long overdue for my midday nap. And then I have to run errands this afternoon, so it'll be a while before I'll be able to check back in here.
Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

I have to ask... why MS-DOS 6.21 specifically? It was one of the most short-lived DOS releases...

DOSSHELL did first show up in DOS 4.0 but it was completely rewritten in DOS 5.0 and I think the task switching functionality was added even later (but not certain). Anyway, you can run DOSSHELL in a VM.

As for copy & paste between DOS VMs... too much non-trivial work for a feature that no one (statistically speaking) wants.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Clueless in Seattle wrote:How about running Windows 95 under virtual box?
Yes, that was the idea, sorry I wasn't clearer. I re-read my post and, yes, I kind of left it a little bit vague, sorry about that.

But my thought was to have a Windows 98 VM, which runs decently with all the latest and greatest hardware under VirtualBox, and the VM itself "hosting" the two (or three or more) DOS programs that you're interested in. Unless your apps want to run full screen, you could even have them running in parallel inside the same VM. Heck, it even supports basic Samba networking so you could even use a network printer as well (as long as it's old enough ;) ).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Clueless in Seattle

michaln wrote:I have to ask... why MS-DOS 6.21 specifically? It was one of the most short-lived DOS releases...
Just a matter of my personal history. That was the last version of MS-DOS that I ran before I transistioned to Windows (3.11 I think). I created a whole lot of batch files for DOS 6.21 (and even some GW-BASIC programs) that I still use to this day.
DOSSHELL did first show up in DOS 4.0 but it was completely rewritten in DOS 5.0
Now that you mention it, I think I did borrow DOSSHELL from an old version of MS-DOS 5.0
Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"
Clueless in Seattle

socratis wrote:
Clueless in Seattle wrote:How about running Windows 95 under virtual box?
Yes, that was the idea... my thought was to have a Windows 98 VM, which runs decently with all the latest and greatest hardware under VirtualBox, and the VM itself "hosting" the two (or three or more) DOS programs that you're interested in. Unless your apps want to run full screen, you could even have them running in parallel inside the same VM. Heck, it even supports basic Samba networking so you could even use a network printer as well (as long as it's old enough ;) ).
Now you're talking! I think that just may be the solution I've been looking for!

Would a set-up like that allow me to access USB hard drives or flash drives from the DOS programs running under the Windows 98 command prompt?
Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Clueless in Seattle wrote:Would a set-up like that allow me to access USB hard drives or flash drives from the DOS programs running under the Windows 98 command prompt?
Windows 98 had limited USB support, but it definitely has support for USB devices, even with "external" help. DOS doesn't have a clue what USB is. But you could map them and pretty much have them as your local drives.

Read the FAQ, Tutorial: Windows 95/98 guest OSes and keep the link handy; I have a feeling you're going to need it ;)