Display problems when running Windows 98

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Tohron

Display problems when running Windows 98

Post by Tohron »

I'm running a Windows 98 OS on a Vista host, and when I try to change the display settings, I am limited to 16 colors and a 640x480 screen resolution. Other options simply do not appear.

In addition, when I try to go into full-screen mode, I simply get the same image size in the middle of a black screen (I would like the display stretched across the screen).

Is there a way to get 16-bit and 32-bit color, and higher screen resolutions? And to get the display to stretch across the screen? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
ghr
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: DOS, Win3x, Win95, WinXP, Ubuntu, OS/2

Post by ghr »

Tired of gooogling ??? Your options are vbemp or Scitech Display Doctor... e.g. search this forum via G. using the string: "sdd site: virtualbox.org"
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Read FAQ, use search function. Tpopic was discuessed several times.
Tohron

Post by Tohron »

stefan.becker wrote:Read FAQ, use search function. Tpopic was discuessed several times.
Could you please provide a link? The search function doesn't seem to work, and I don't know what FAQ you're referring to.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Homepage / Documentation / End User
Tohron

Post by Tohron »

The FAQ there was somewhat useful, but I still don't understand how I'm supposed to make the device data (for VBE 9x) accessible to my virtual machine (other than by CD-rom) I've had no luck getting shared folders working, and many of the additions are unavailable for a Windows 98 guest OS. So how would I go about doing it?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Tohron wrote:The FAQ there was somewhat useful, but I still don't understand how I'm supposed to make the device data (for VBE 9x) accessible to my virtual machine (other than by CD-rom) I've had no luck getting shared folders working, and many of the additions are unavailable for a Windows 98 guest OS. So how would I go about doing it?
Stick to your other topic for that question. This is about your display problems, not how to share data between host and guest.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.