virtualbox run on win10 x64?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
flarom

virtualbox run on win10 x64?

Post by flarom »

I have a pc with win 10pro x64, intel core i5 -4440, i've donwloaded VirtualBox-5.0.24-108355-Win form official web, bue when i try to install it, it appears a window:
Attachments
photo.jpg
photo.jpg (37.22 KiB) Viewed 7376 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: virtualbox run on win10 x64?

Post by mpack »

For those who don't speak Spanish (which includes me), the translation is: "You can't run this application on your computer".

In answer to your question, my own host is Windows 10 64bit, and VirtualBox runs just fine.

To confirm, you get this message when running the installer, correct? (not when running the application after installation). If so, make sure to use "Run as administrator" ("Ejecutar como administrador") when running the installer, as the installer needs to install device drivers and this requires elevated privileges. If you work in a business environment then you may be blocked from installing software (all, or anything that needs admin rights), in which case you should contact your company IT support people.
flarom

Post by flarom »

thank you very much for your reply.

as you said, the message appears when running the installer but as "administrator", that is the problem. I know it should go ok, but i dont know what else to do.
have you any idea?

thanks again...
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

flarom wrote:when running the installer but as "administrator"
Please note that it's one thing if you are an "administrator" and a different thing if you Right-click on the installer and select "Run as administrator". mpack told you to use right-click, "Run as administrator".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
flarom

Post by flarom »

yes yes that is what im doing and the message coninue appearing.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I did a quick search for "Windows 10 This app can't run on your PC" and this article seemed to be the most complete: http://windowsreport.com/app-cant-run-windows-10/

It seems that there are a lot of reports with this problem. I would start by temporarily disabling Smart Screen. It seems to be the easiest solution.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Either SmartScreen, or solution 3 also looks like a likely one to me: make sure you aren't restricted to Store apps only.
flarom

Post by flarom »

i´ve tried with every option in the link socratis suggested, but nothing... i was able to install every apllication but i heve the problem with this...
Any other suggestion?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Did you try Solution 1 in the Windowsreport link? I have had accounts go bad on PCs and could fix and/or continue using things from a different account. In fact I believe and practice that all computers should have at least two accounts, one not used often for admin purposes, to fix account-related glitches.

Virtualbox will install on another account and be usable on the regular account. (I have this kind of setup on my home laptop, VB runs just fine on my kids' account, whereas I installed it on my account.
The guests you make on one account aren't populated over into the other account unless you manually register them, but VB is usable.

Try installing VB on a new administrator-privilege account, then log back into your usual account & see what happens.
flarom

Post by flarom »

It s working!! i´ve donwloaded a new version, and its working!! thanks a lot!!