Cant get Windows XP Pro to see my USB devices

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
dursofd

Cant get Windows XP Pro to see my USB devices

Post by dursofd »

This question has probably been asked a thousand times but I'll ask it again. I am running Ubuntu 8.04 as a host with Windows XP as a guest.

Ubuntu sees all of my USB devices. I can plug my thumb drive in and its recognized no problem. I can plug my Garmin Forerunner 301 in, and using a piece of software called Pytrainer, I can see the Garmin no problem.

In Windows, none of the USB devices come up. In the guest setup, I have enabled the USB controller and 2.0 support.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Is there an easy fix. I am a super noob so be gentle.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

To get USB working on Ubuntu you have to make sure that your Ubuntu provides /proc/bus/usb/devices and /proc/bus/usb/*/* (the latter are the USB devices). Did you read the FAQ on www.virtualbox.org?
bwh1969

Post by bwh1969 »

I cannot get it to work b/c win XP gives an error when trying to install root hub. The last version of virtualbox I have this running correctly as 1.60 on my desktop but two other machines that I installed 1.62 I have this issue.

Further on this issue:
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic. ... hlight=usb
DocB

Post by DocB »

Following the FAQ is a useful hint, but does not guarantee that it works. At least on one machine I can at least see the USB devices, but is does not connect to the Forerunner 305 properly.
Sorry to say, but for SportTracks I have to use VMWare....
Ted-UK

Post by Ted-UK »

Try disabling the USB 2 support and then start the Windows VM. See if the usb devices work then. Others of us have had problems with USB 2/EHCI support in Windows Guests.

All the best,
Ted-UK