Guest Additions install fails

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
unknown

Guest Additions install fails

Post by unknown »

I'm SO confused. I had virtualbox running just fine but decided to install the 1.6 version and have not been able to get guest additions installed. It always stops with an error. This is the little log file:

Output folder: C:\Program Files\Sun\xVM VirtualBox Guest Additions
Version: 1.6.0.30421
Skipped: VBoxDrvInst.exe
Skipped: VBoxVideo.inf
Skipped: VBoxVideo.cat
Skipped: VBoxGINA.dll
Skipped: iexplore.ico
Skipped: VBoxVideo.sys
Skipped: VBoxDisp.dll
Skipped: VBoxMouse.sys
Skipped: VBoxMouse.inf
Skipped: VBoxGuest.sys
Skipped: VBoxGuest.inf
Skipped: VBoxGuest.cat
Skipped: VBCoInst.dll
Skipped: VBoxService.exe
Skipped: VBoxControl.exe
Skipped: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\VBoxSF.sys
Extract: C:\WINDOWS\system32\VBoxMRXNP.dll... 100%
Skipped: C:\WINDOWS\system32\VBoxHook.dll
Extract: C:\Program Files\Sun\xVM VirtualBox Guest Additions\nse7.tmp... 100%
Rename on reboot: C:\Program Files\Sun\xVM VirtualBox Guest Additions\nse7.tmp->C:\WINDOWS\system32\VBoxHook.dll
Installing Drivers...
Installing driver ...
HardwareID: PCI\VEN_80EE&DEV_BEEF&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_00
Device class name: Display
Could not retrieve device class GUID!
ERROR: Could not install files for Windows 2000 / XP / Vista! Installation aborted.

It also says to consult some log file for more info except there's no log file in that directory.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling virtualbox. I've tried using the Mandriva OSE install and hit the same wall with that.

VirtualBox does install and it works but I don't have access to the shared folders which I need. I can see the folders but it says the network is not availble or was moved to a different location.

Unknown
unknown

Post by unknown »

Well, I fixed it but found a bug. I never mess with anything in XP so forgot about when just after I installed it I changed a bunch of settings disabling services I wouldn't need - like PNP among others. I actually had NO devices in the hardware manager but didn't know it because I only use XP for one program which always worked so never looked around in XP. I haven't actually used windows since NT4 back in the 90s. I have no idea how people say windows is so easy; it makes no sense to me.

Anyway, getting the devices to show up enabled the Guest Additions to install and with that I got the shared folders - but the bug showed up. You know the when all else fails, RTFM stuff? I found the VBoxManage updatesettings in the manual in section 8.22 except when I tried that all I got was:

Syntax error: Invalid command 'updatesettings'

updatesettings isn't even listed as a command option. If I just run VBoxManage, -convertSettings shows up as an option but when I tried that I got the same error message about invalid command so there's apparently no way to just upgrade vbox or your settings?
bluesdog

Post by bluesdog »

Mind sharing your fix?

Resolution is stuck at 4bit
Cannot go full screen

I get the same error message you did, and the windows device manager shows no devices

I hate windows
unknown

Post by unknown »

Sorry, guess my fix wasn't clear. I hate windows too; it makes no sense so I sort of try to think of the dumbest thing possible and usually that's it. :)

I have no ISA on the box so disabled PNP in windows - except windows needs PNP to detect non-pnp hardware somehow. Dunno, makes no sense to me but I might be misrembering PNP. But after I enabled it - and rebooted, of course - my hardware showed up in that device list and guest additions installed without a wimper.
bluesdog

Post by bluesdog »

tnx. I'll give it a try.

I can't recall what I disabled in the darn thing, but possibly I disabled pnp.

Now all I have to do is remember where to re-enable it...

Hah! That seems to have done the trick all righty~!

Thank you very much. I really didn't want to install xp again

So, for anyone else having this problem, the solution is to open windows Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services, and activate Plug and Play, to enable the system to 'see' the virtual hardware components necessary for the virtualbox drivers installation, then restart xp from the 'start' button, install the guest additions, and reboot windows again.

Thanks again, O unknown one! :D