Network help needed

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
zootal

Network help needed

Post by zootal »

I have VB 1.6.0 running on XP64, with Slackware 12.1 guest. I cannot get to the outside world no matter how I setup networking. If I use NAT, the guest will get it's own ip address, but there is no internet connection. If I try ftp or wget, I get "unable to resolve host address". If I start KDE, no internet apps can connect, I get unknown host www.whatever.com

I've tried all three network adaptors, and all three them are recognized by Slack. I've tried NAT, and it gets it's own IP, but no internet connection.

If I use Host Interface, and create a host interface, it recognizes the nic, but cannot get an IP from my router - dhcp just times out.

I have no firewall, nothing on the host that should cause this.

Anyone run into this, any suggestions?
dsmithhfx

Post by dsmithhfx »

I'm getting the same problem in VB 2.0 with Fedora 9 64-bit host and Bluewhite 64 12.1 (slackware-based) guest. When I use the kde control center/network settings I can enable the adaptor but it is immediately disabled (icon turns green momentarily, then back to red).

Note when I start the netowrk settings, it presents a list of Linux distros. The nearest I can find is Slackware 10.2. If I do not choose any distro, all the options remain greyed out.

A Mepis 7.0 64-bit live cd guest got networking through VB 2.0 no problem.
zootal

Post by zootal »

It works great with Windows guests. I haven't had a chance to play with it lately. I have a real linux box, so I don't really need linux running in a VM. And I have cygwin for when I don't even need a real linux box :)
dsmithhfx

Post by dsmithhfx »

Zootal,

I don't see how your comment is relevant to the questions being posed in this thread.

We are discussing network issues with Linux guests.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

On the Host, do you have a primary DNS server that works? Only the first DNS server is send to the VM when using NAT. If you use HIF be sure to bridge the connection with your physical connection. Note that only wired NICs work with bridges, no wireless connection possible. Does the Guest have any firewall running? Some distro's ship a firewall by default that the user isn't aware of.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
dsmithhfx

Post by dsmithhfx »

Looks like a Bluewhite 64 issue. I nuked it and installed Xubuntu 8.10 Alpha 5 AMD64, and the network came straight up, no muss, no fuss.
KeyzerSuze
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: debian i386, debian amd64, Windows XP, Windows 2003 Server

Post by KeyzerSuze »

Some thing I have noticed with 2.0, I had a working linux guest with 1 interface attached, when I stopped the machine and attached a second interface, the first one would not respond, if you looked at ifconfig you could see that it was sending packets (tx was going up), but rx was 0, on the host machine I could see packets going to the interface. The 2nd interface works fine! To fix this I had to reboot the host as well as the guest and it only lasted the first boot of the guest.