No Internet Access Win7 under Win7

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Turlok

No Internet Access Win7 under Win7

Post by Turlok »

This was literally working fine yesterday, exactly zero changes have been made to my host or guest or home network. Suddenly, today I cannot connect to the internet on the VM.

I have completely re-installed everything;

VirtualBox 4.3.20
Created the VM from windows 7 Pro ISO
Installed Guest Additions - VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd64

Network settings at the default, which worked before but suddenly today do not;

Attached to NAT,
Cable Connected

I've searched google for hours, and saw mostly suggestions to change settings to bridged adapter and allow VMs under promiscuous mode. This did not work.

The VM shows that it is connected to 'Network' at 1gbps but not the internet ('No Internet Access')

Please advise
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: No Internet Access Win7 under Win7

Post by socratis »

Please take a look at: Minimum information needed for assistance. Remember to zip the log file before attaching it. And since you're at it, please post the <MyVM>.vbox file.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Turlok

Post by Turlok »

socratis wrote:Please take a look at: Minimum information needed for assistance. Remember to zip the log file before attaching it. And since you're at it, please post the <MyVM>.vbox file.
  • VirtualBox 4.3.20 r96997
  • Host & Guest are both Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 64 bit
  • Log attached
  • vbox attached
Attachments
vbox.zip
(2.54 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
log.zip
(18.65 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If the host still has internet access then I would look to a problem inside the guest OS, not the VM.

Incidentally, what does "Internet access" mean to you? Browser access?
Turlok

Post by Turlok »

mpack wrote:If the host still has internet access then I would look to a problem inside the guest OS, not the VM.

Incidentally, what does "Internet access" mean to you? Browser access?
The host has full internet access

The guest displays the yellow triangle sign over the network icon on the taskbar with the hover text "No Internet Access".

The guest can't connect to automatic updates service or open a webpage in the browser. It can, however, successfully ping both the host's IP and my router's IP. nslookup fails, even when setting "Use the following DNS server addresses:" to google's service 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 as per suggested in other similar threads.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

1. You selected the wrong template when you installed the guest: OSType="WindowsXP_64". Delete and re-install the guest with the appropriate template.
  2. Change the Bridged mode to NAT. That usually works out of the box. Bridged does not always work with WiFi (that's what your 'Linksys AE2500' is, right?).
  3. In your host you have installed 'ProxyCap' from 'Proxy Labs' (pcapwsp.dll) which fails to load because it's not properly signed (00:00:12.126212 at your log). Given the fact that it is a network redirection library, I would definitely try to uninstall it and see if that fixes your network problems (after you've taken care of 1. and 2.).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Turlok

Post by Turlok »

socratis wrote:
  1. You selected the wrong template when you installed the guest: OSType="WindowsXP_64". Delete and re-install the guest with the appropriate template.
  2. Change the Bridged mode to NAT. That usually works out of the box. Bridged does not always work with WiFi (that's what your 'Linksys AE2500' is, right?).
  3. In your host you have installed 'ProxyCap' from 'Proxy Labs' (pcapwsp.dll) which fails to load because it's not properly signed (00:00:12.126212 at your log). Given the fact that it is a network redirection library, I would definitely try to uninstall it and see if that fixes your network problems (after you've taken care of 1. and 2.).
  • I had selected the windows 7 64bit template, but virtualbox changed it to xp at some point (after I had modified the guest display settings to 800x600 and configured performance settings to 'adjust for best performance'. When I had swapped it back, virtual box flagged it as an invalid setting, even though the guest was most definitely win7. Doesn't seem to be an issue yet with the next install.
  • Both Bridged mode and NAT completely failed. Yes, the linksys AE2500 is a wireless usb device. This had all been working fine under NAT for weeks.
  • It turns out ProxyCap was the culprit here. Uninstalling this from my host did the trick. This is rather odd/annoying though, as again it had been working fine with proxycap installed for some time, and ProxyCap was also 'disabled' while it was still apparently blocking me.
Thank you both very much for your time in assisting me with this. Proxycap was causing the problem which is now resolved.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

Turlok wrote:
  • I had selected the windows 7 64bit template, but virtualbox changed it to xp at some point (after I had modified the guest display settings to 800x600 and configured performance settings to 'adjust for best performance'.
Thank you both very much for your time in assisting me with this. Proxycap was causing the problem which is now resolved.
Interesting. I have used Virtualbox for over 5 years now, have installed hundreds of guests, have modified the settings of numerous guests and VirtualBox has never changed a guest's setting "at some point".

I'm not sure what mechanism in VirtualBox could even do that.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The only way guest settings can appear to change themselves is if you are also fiddling with snapshots. Reverting a snapshot reverts the VM settings too, not just the disk contents.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

I never use snapshots so I always forget about them.

edit: I fibbed. I have on occasion used one snapshot if there is a major upgrade to a guest in case it doesn't go well. Deleted immediately if the upgrade goes well.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
eebssk1
Guest OSses: Debian 10

Post by eebssk1 »

I known this thread is quiet old, but I found a solution that retains proxycap.
VirtualBox also trusts self signed CA / end entity certificates installed(trusted) on your system by default. So you can just create the pair and sign the two pcapwsp.dll with them.