VBoxSDL crashes, probably related to image processing

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Elle Stone

VBoxSDL crashes, probably related to image processing

Post by Elle Stone »

I am running Windows 2000 Guest on Debian Lenny 64-bit host, 4gb ram. I have a dual-monitor setup, Nvidia graphics card. I have my W2K guest set up with 2gb ram and 2.5 gb pagefile on a separate vdi hard drive on a separate physical disk.

I prefer to start VirtualBox using VBoxSDL because it gives me much more free screen space across both monitors - no menu and title bars across the top eating into desktop real estate. This setup worked perfectly under 1.5.4 - at least it never crashed on me.

Under 1.5.6 I've encountered two problems. "Alt-click" seems unobtainable regardless of trying to use the shift or ctrl key along with Alt. More seriously, VirtualBox started with VBoxSDL crashes randomly (it has never crashed when started by the gui), seemingly only when running graphics intensive image processing on the W2K guest. The message in the terminal after the crash is:

VirtualBox SDL GUI 1.5.6 built Feb 20 2008 17:34:26
X Error of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
Major opcode of failed request: 158 (RENDER)
Minor opcode of failed request: 27 (RenderCreateCursor)
Serial number of failed request: 295633
Current serial number in output stream: 295636

Now I realize that the help guide says VBoxSDL is "not supported". However, it is the only way I know of to get full use of my monitors in dual-monitor mode under W2K.

Anyone have any suggestions regarding a work-around or a better way to get dual-screen in VB under W2K?

Elle