USB UNSTABLE for XP Guests (both XP and Suse 10.3 Hosts)

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
BitBasher

USB UNSTABLE for XP Guests (both XP and Suse 10.3 Hosts)

Post by BitBasher »

I'm wondering if the USB virtualization is rock-solid or is the USB support still going through growing pains.

I've tested vbox 1.5.6 hosted both under Suse 10.3 and WinXP pro SP2. For both host OSes I install WinXP pro SP2 as a Guest OS.

For both host OSes, I can get a few of my USB thumb drives to work in the Guest OS. The thumbdrive works when used on either HOST OS (Suse or XP) while in the virtual XP. So virtualization is working for both my linux host and my XP host.

I have trouble with my Sandisk Cruzer 4GB thumb drive in BOTH host OSes. The guest OS sees it, but then seems to get confused. Eventually the light on the thumbdrive goes out and the Guest OS XP complains that the device didn't install correctly. Note that this thumbdrive works flawlessly in BOTH Host OSes (without virtualization). I'm wondering if the VBoxUSB driver isn't stable or if it is having trouble with my 4 GB USB thumbdrive.

Also, I tried a few USB harddisks in external enclosures. NONE OF THEM worked in either Host OS under a virtual XP as a Guest OS. All the USB harddisks work fine in either Host OS when not virtualized.

It seems that the VBox USB virtualization isn't 100% solid yet, and I'm wondering what information could be helpful to the vbox developers so they can track down why some USB devices are not working in the Guest OS (when then work fine in a Host OS).

Bit.
carlill

I am seeing identical behaviour

Post by carlill »

I'm running VirtualBox 1.5.6 on an XP Host and OpenSuse 10.3 guest.

My SanDisk Cruzer 4 GB stick works fine under XP (I have uninstalled all the U3 stuff - this is a "vanilla" USB stick now), but is not recogized in my Open Suse guest. A Sony 2 GB stick works fine in the OpenSuse guest, so I don't think this is user error.

The Cruzer stick also works fine in a standalone (i.e. non-virtual) OpenSuse 10.3 system I have.

Also, with the same Cruzer USB stick I can under some circumstances (still trying to work out what) cause VirtualBox to crash...

Any ideas?