virtualbox, ubuntu and local area network

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
fonkydevil

virtualbox, ubuntu and local area network

Post by fonkydevil »

hi all,

here is what i would like to do : have my virtual machine (running ubuntu GG) appear just like all other computers on local network, in static ip mode.

NAT didn't work, i guess im supposed to do it with host interface mode, but setting the ip in this mode doesn't work.

how can i achieve it ?

thanks for your help.
morvael

Post by morvael »

First of all you must add VM adapter and bridge it with your network connection. Plus this must be wired connection not a wireless one (wireless cards don't support bridging). It's relatively easy on Windows XP host and all is explained in the user manual.

Only after bridging those connections your settings in the guest system regarding it's static IP will work.
fonkydevil

Post by fonkydevil »

hi, thank you for your reply

i have bridge my virtual interface and my physical interface using the bridge functionnality (as instructed in the manual)

then i gave the bridge an ip, gate and dns

but i still have no network on the ubuntu guest.

please forgive my lack of skill. could you explain how i should set the tcp/ip of bridge and host ?

thank you
deanp

Same problem here

Post by deanp »

I'm having a similar problem.

I have a Vista host, with Debain installed in a host.

The networking worked well in NAT mode, but when changed to HIF networking with a tap created at the command line it all falls apart.

I noticed that I cannot modify the bridges network properties, and not the TAP or the actual network interface. However I can change the bridge, I have my network set to static IPs only, so i change the bridge to what my previous actual network interface was,

I still cannot access any network within my Debian guest - how should I configure my Debian network? should it be statically assigned as well, or is there some magic that happens that allows DHCP to work?

How do I solve this problem?

Any help is much appreciated - and will instantly remedy this headache I have had all weekend.
OmahaJohn

I finally got this to work

Post by OmahaJohn »

After finding that wireless connections wouldn't work.

NAT was working fine with an IP Address of 10.0.2.15, if I recall.

I switched to HIF, created the interface, briged them, and nothing.

Then I killed the bridge, plugged in an ethernet cable, and tried bridging those connections -- everything works great now. The Host is XP Media Center on a Dell Inspiron E1505. The Guest is Fedora 8. It is all on one subnet, as the documentation makes pretty clear, so there's no IP configuration necessary -- it pulls from the main DHCP server for my workplace. Working like a champ.

My next goal is, when I get home from the office, to make it work on my 2003 Server host with my Fedora 8 guest. That gave me a blue screen last time I tried to bridge. We'll see if it's going to cooperate or not tonight.