Lion as VB guest on Mac hardware?

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
MusicMiK
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: several

Re: Lion as VB guest on Mac hardware?

Post by MusicMiK »

Got it. No DSMOS problem. I just deleted the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, booted with -f -d -s (as i was playing around in single user since a while) and it hung at the same place (after exiting the single user).

But this time, some moments later while searching the web for new hints, it printed a MAC address and continued the boot. So i continued the installation process and now i have a (somehow) working Lion install in my VirtualBox. The next problem: "About my Mac" logs off the session. So there still are issues.

But i hope i could help to provide a good starting point to get the remaining things fixed. If i'm bored, i'll look into this again :)

So long...

Michael
thomasafine
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP and hopefully lion

Post by thomasafine »

MusicMiK wrote: But this time, some moments later while searching the web for new hints, it printed a MAC address and continued the boot. So i continued the installation process and now i have a (somehow) working Lion install in my VirtualBox. The next problem: "About my Mac" logs off the session. So there still are issues.
Could that just be more SMBIOS stuff that's needed? It does sound like problems I've heard of in the hackintosh community.

Also, let me see if I understand this - for the NVRAM problem, instead of fixing vbox, you "fixed" the Lion program that accesses nvram?

If so, it's cool but ugly. But that means you could fix any other SMBIOS problems the same way. Correctly, by having vbox do appropriate lookups in the real hardware, or the ugly way, by importing some hackintosh SMBIOS kext that fakes it.

Thanks,

tom
MusicMiK
Guest OSses: several

Post by MusicMiK »

thomasafine wrote:Could that just be more SMBIOS stuff that's needed? It does sound like problems I've heard of in the hackintosh community.
Yep, i'm quite sure there are just some more values missing somewhere, just compare ioreg -l from the host and guest, there are some more values in the host's output. Anyway this currently doesn't seem to be a showstopper.
thomasafine wrote:Also, let me see if I understand this - for the NVRAM problem, instead of fixing vbox, you "fixed" the Lion program that accesses nvram?
Correct. The current NVRAM implementation looks very Apple specific and resides in the EFI firmware code (AppleSim.c). You can modify some values like the boot arguments from the hypervisor level, but for a generic named variables storage like a real Apple hardware has, you need to modify several places and i'm quite sure you also need to modify the EFI firmware code, which makes things a bit harder. As this specific NVRAM problem is only present during the installation process (and as i don't have a personal interest to virtualize OSX currently :), i didn't dive into this in detail. I don't know EDK2 at all, so i would need to read and experiment for some days to just get the basic knowledge to start work on this i think.
thomasafine wrote:If so, it's cool but ugly. But that means you could fix any other SMBIOS problems the same way. Correctly, by having vbox do appropriate lookups in the real hardware, or the ugly way, by importing some hackintosh SMBIOS kext that fakes it.
Nope. SMBIOS and NVRAM are totally different things. SMBIOS/DMI is a standardized set of data structures, well-documented and common in all PCs. They are read-only. The NVRAM stuff is Apple-specifc, there also is NVRAM in standard PCs, the BIOS settings are stored there, in fixed locations with proprietary data structures while the Apple-specific NVRAM has the same style as the old OpenFirmware NVRAM implementations (in fact, old Apples also used OpenFirmware, so they just took this model to the x86 world i think), they can store some sort of key-value pairs. See nvram(8).

...Michael
Sharpie
Guest OSses: linux mint, win 7, OS X

Post by Sharpie »

I can confirm that MusicMiK's patches allow VBox 4.0.12 to boot Lion (I don't use 4.1.x because of host kernel panics).

Here's how I got my setup working:
  • Download a 30 day trial of VMWare Fusion 4 and use it to create a Lion VM and get through the install process
  • Use `VBoxManage clonehd` to convert the VMWare .vmdk virtual disk to a VirtualBox .vdi
  • Create a new VBox Lion virtual machine that uses the .vdi as a hard disk
Using a copy of VirtualBox compiled with the patches, I can boot the Lion VM with EFI enabled and no OSx86 bootloader hacks. The only hiccup I have noticed so far is that on boot the VM does hang at "Waiting for DSMOS... macx_swapon SUCCESS" for half a minute or so before "DSMOS has arrived" shows up and the VM finishes booting.

If I get time, I will post a custom build formula that the Homebrew package manager can use to build a patched version of VirtualBox.
mdurisseau
Guest OSses: WinXP

Post by mdurisseau »

I used Sharpie's install method, but I have no working mouse...quit after the first startup...
mdurisseau

Post by mdurisseau »

I've also noticed that the time is way off...any ideas?
mdurisseau

Post by mdurisseau »

I've also noticed that there is no internet, either...I did upgrade to the newest version, and the VM still works! Anyone have any issues with the screen resolution? Mine is still stuck at 1024x768...
drillhead
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Gentoo, Windows XP, 0$X

Post by drillhead »

Has anyone sucessfully upgraded to 10.7.2 in Virtualbox?
Sharpie
Guest OSses: linux mint, win 7, OS X

Post by Sharpie »

drillhead wrote:Has anyone sucessfully upgraded to 10.7.2 in Virtualbox?
Haven't tried upgrading Lion---but I have had problems upgrading Snow Leopard after removing the power management kernel extensions. My strategy is to do upgrades, drop a snapshot, then remove the kernel extensions. If I want to upgrade again, I have to re-wind to that snapshot.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Why not backing up the parts you remove so you can restore them before the upgrade, upgrade the OS and then remove them again? Saves you from loosing data when restoring to a snapshot.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
drillhead
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Gentoo, Windows XP, 0$X

Post by drillhead »

mino
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Mac OS X 10.7

Post by mino »

I have Lion in VB running on my MacBook Pro but it is very slow and is not stable. I was having problems with the keyboard and mouse working until I did the following.

Code: Select all

VBoxManage modifyvm <vm name> --mouse usb
VBoxManage modifyvm <vm name> --keyboard usb
I also selected "Enable absolute pointing device" in Settings->System.

If your vm name has spaces you will need to put quotes around them.

Hope this helps.