Windows 98 again

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

You have to compile this Version yourself. See on VBox Homepage.
ray5450

re: SB16

Post by ray5450 »

If you mean "http://www.virtualbox.org/" as the homepage, I read the whole thing, including the changelog link indicated under the statement, "VirtualBox 1.5.6 released!". I did not read anything about sb16 or anything about compiling anything, unless you mean the statement, "everyone is encouraged to contribute while innotek ensures the product always meets professional quality criteria."

Someone saying that Virtualbox is ready to support sb16, while such a "contribution" may not even have been contributed yet is rather misleading.

stefan.becker wrote:You have to compile this Version yourself. See on VBox Homepage.
Eck

Post by Eck »

He's talking about the development versions. Nearly all software has these, and they usually update daily. Some days some things are broken, other days those things are fixed and other things break. They are meant for folks to help develop the next versions of software. But they are not meant to be used on computers a user wants to be stable.

It's like Debian Unstable (Sid), you know, Ubuntu. :) Not meant to be installed on any real user's system, only developers. Funny the general public is equating Ubuntu with Linux these days when it is based upon software not ready for use yet. Heh, heh.

So, if you can find a link to where Sun/Innotek stores its development snapshots (svn, git, sourceforge, private, no idea what they use), then you can help test the daily snapshots.

Keep in mind that using development versions of things also has the possibility of breaking other things on a system besides itself.

If you aren't interested in reporting bugs and possibly fixing obscure areas of you system, then development (or Ubuntu, he he, having fun now) is not for you.

I use Debian testing, which is like Ubuntu except the software is in a release candidate condition, started with a copy of the last stable (Etch now). Lenny has a few months left (late September) before it's polished up to be the next stable. So any Ubuntu users that like all that new software but would like it to work can install Debian from an Etch image, dist-upgrade to testing, and wonder where all the unsolvable problems disappeared to.

End of rant against using unstable software as the basis for a distribution.

All right, Virtualbox. Just keep using it with the Realtek driver until a release of a version with SB16 support. Nothing wrong with the view into the future provided by the development news. But since they're bothering to include SB16 audio, let's hope they figure out some way to speed up Windows 98 guests. If this thing can run Windows Vista at acceptable speeds there's no reason they can't do better at such a simple operating system as Windows 98.

Haven't tried it yet, but Qemu I've heard runs 98 speedily even without using the kgemu kernel module (so all in software). Just get one of the front-ends available. It has SB16 as well.

Be aware that neither SB16 or the Intel AC97 will perform as well as the ES1371 chip emulated by VMWare. That's a full PCI audio card there, that even can use the Creative full software suite. I've run that thing on VMWare in Windows using a 98SE guest and it's really cool with PlayCenter, the Creative Mixer, midi from the 8MB ensoniq wave set, etc.

SB16 is good for ms-dos games, but I could never get the vesa modes working on virtual machines so not so good with no video, eh? Dosbox blows any of this stuff away for ms-dos gaming. (Even MS-DOS.)

But the whole concept of virtualization is really cool! It's amazing what we can get to work pretty darned well with it, and it gets better all the time.
DocB

Post by DocB »

chungy wrote:VMware themselves actually recommend Rain (that's where I learned about it first), heh
Which CPU should be set on installation of rain?