Windows 98 again

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
rjdgtn

Windows 98 again

Post by rjdgtn »

Hello I'm sorry for my English and offtop.

my question about SciTech Display Doctor 6.53.
this program didn't help me.

After I install it - I rebut Windows. I registered this program.

I turn on it-it ask to rebut,OK rebut.
When Windows start-programm is off again....

"Switch Windows Display Driver"-I choose "SciTech Display Doctor 6.53".ask to rebut,OK rebut.
When Windows start-"No OEM driver installed" choosen.
I choose "SciTech Display Doctor 6.53".ask to rebut,OK rebut.
ERROR: video adapter configurated not correct.
Windows can not find driver to:
"PCI System Peripheral"
"SciTech Display Doctor 6.53"

and what display driver i must choose?
rjdgtn

Post by rjdgtn »

Thanks for attention. The problem has been solved by installation SciTech Display Doctor 7.0. of the version 7/0Beta
rjdgtn

about audio

Post by rjdgtn »

Windows98 can't find "PCI Multimedia Audio Device" driver what can i do?
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Search for the Intel Audio Driver un the Web. Type see User Doc.

But Sound in Win98 Guest isnt good, so better install XP.
Eck

Post by Eck »

The Realtek AC97 vxd Audio driver for Windows 95 supports the Intel chips like the one virtualized by Virtualbox. I extracted it and pointed Device Manager to it since the setup only runs in Windows 95 and I installed Windows 98SE.

It actually works okay, but anything involving the internet is not good as the connection is slow, slow, slow. I suppose if we use XP/Vista then Virtualbox offers acceptable internet bandwidth but on 98SE it really is useless for anything using the net, like web browsing or multimedia from the web.

But programs themselves look and sound fine, both video and audio with the combination of the SciTech video driver and the Realtek audio driver. You get a wavetable midi synth as well as ms-dos box audio emulation. But of course for dos you're much better off with your real operating system and the dosbox program.

Just don't expect any Direct 3D gaming to work. I'm happy that a few programs that I can't run in Linux with Wine or in Windows XP or Vista that are 9x specific run fine on a 98SE guest in Virtualbox. Most used to run on XP until XP Service Pack 2 broke them, so I keep a 9x system around somehow for them.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Eck: In my own tests I get terrible performance of Win98 guests compared to XP guests.

Do you experience that too? How is the speed?
Last edited by Technologov on 2. Feb 2008, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.
chungy
Volunteer

Post by chungy »

You should get Rain for Windows 95/98/Me, it will make the operating system properly halt the CPU when idle (this greatly improves the speed of Win9x guests, and the responsiveness of the host): http://www.benchtest.com/rain.html
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Thanks, will test.

chungy: What you tell me is very strange, because on VirtualPC and VMware Win98 works fast without any workarounds/patches

-Technologov
chungy
Volunteer

Post by chungy »

VMware themselves actually recommend Rain (that's where I learned about it first), heh
ray5450

Windows 98

Post by ray5450 »

When "pci system peripheral" comes up on the device list, does anyone know how to tell what kind of device it thinks it is? I have been having good luck with finding drivers, but I cannot find drivers for something that I don't know what it is. On the other hand, can I make it anything I want--is that the idea? I really don't know.

Thanks.
vbox4m

Post by vbox4m »

Eck wrote:The Realtek AC97 vxd Audio driver for Windows 95 supports the Intel chips like the one virtualized by Virtualbox. I extracted it and pointed Device Manager to it since the setup only runs in Windows 95 and I installed Windows 98SE.
I did the exact same:

1) Downloaded from RealTek's site (Windows 95 for Driver only, A4.04 2008/2/1, 7575k = VXD_A404.exe):
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... n=false#AC

2) Installed winrar and using "All Files" types, extracted the VXD_A404.exe

3) Did normal device manager setup for virtualbox's Windows Direct Sound Audio Adaptor pointing it to the extraction directory of the VXD_A404.

Also did DirectX 9.0C's DxDiag sound test and it passed.

Thanks for posting here and other places, it helped me figure out my audio problems.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Forget the Realtek Audio. Wait for next Version. That will have SB16, that works perfectly with Win98.

Could be tested yourself with the new SVN-OSE Version.
ray5450

SB16

Post by ray5450 »

I have installed the new version (1.5.6) and there is no indication of any sound blaster capability. It is the same as the last version.

stefan.becker wrote:Forget the Realtek Audio. Wait for next Version. That will have SB16, that works perfectly with Win98.

Could be tested yourself with the new SVN-OSE Version.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

I think in the next Verison. Dont know, 1.60?

The SVN Version after 1.56 has this Feature.
ray5450

re: SB16

Post by ray5450 »

Do you know where I (we) could download this version with SB!6?

Thanks.
stefan.becker wrote:I think in the next Verison. Dont know, 1.60?

The SVN Version after 1.56 has this Feature.