Where are the Gnome Menu icons? [CVS] [SOLVED]

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
mohlohn

Where are the Gnome Menu icons? [CVS] [SOLVED]

Post by mohlohn »

To fix follow this guys instructions. They are in an "encrypted language" but follow the code! :)

http://hamacker.wordpress.com/category/gnulinux/page/5/

I managed to install Virtualbox-OSE from CVS so it would work with my Ubuntu Hardy 2.6.24 kernel. (The stock Ubuntu kernel for Gutsy will not boot on my laptop.)

The hardworking team on #vbox were able to talk me through the process with a few "This is for developer...you are already supposed to know that!" along with the fairly clear installation notes. (I am sure I tested thier patience! But they were very helpful nonetheless. Greatly appreciated.)

I can launch Virtualbox at the command line with

Code: Select all

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./VirtualBox
Now for my question. How do I add Virtualbox to the Gnome Menu?

Where is the icon?
"That state which seperates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools" -
Thucydides, on the Peloponessian War
ShellyCat

Post by ShellyCat »

This is how you add an icon for any program to the desktop...I don't use Gnome, but I'm sure you can modify these steps to add an icon to your menu or your desktop:

Right-click the desktop.
Select "Create New->Link to Application".
In the first box on the "General" tab, give your icon some short name.
To change the icon, just click the icon on the "General" tab and you will get a icon-browsing dialog...to find the VirtualBox icon, select "Other Icons"...then just click the "VBox" icon.
In the third box in the "Application" tab, type the exact command that should be executed (for example, "VirtualBox" without the quotes, if you want to start the GUI application).
If you want the icon to start a command-line utility:
-- Use something like "VBoxManage startvm VM-name-here" without the quotes as the command ("VBoxManage" by itself just lists the options)
-- Click the "Advanced Options" button on the "Application" tab.
-- Check the "Run in Terminal" box.
-- You might check the "Do not close terminal when command exits" if the terminal needs to be left open (otherwise, the command will run then the terminal will close -- fine if you don't need to enter more commands).
-- You might check the "Enable launch feedback" (I assume this lets you know if the command was successful).
Click OK to close all the dialogs.
Test your icon -- just click it.