[SOLVED] E_FAIL (0x80004005) / runtime (-102) on Win7 Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
RottNKorpse
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP (mostly), Win7, Linux (various)

[SOLVED] E_FAIL (0x80004005) / runtime (-102) on Win7 Host

Post by RottNKorpse »

Setup Details:
Host: Windows 7
Guest: Windows XP
VB Version: 3.2.6

I just experienced a weird error with VIrtualBox on a client's network. They are on Windows 7 but they have a printer that requires XP because their type of printer doesn't work on Vista or 7 (not the brand, the actual type from any manufacturer...which is stupid)

When I saw the issue it said "Inaccessible" as the status of VM and the following error was provided on the right side of the program.

Code: Select all

Runtime error opening 'C:\Users\COMPUTER_NAME\.VirtualBox\Machines\VM_NAME\VM_NAME.xml' for reading: -102 (File not found.).
D:\tinderbox\win-3.2\src\VBox\Main\MachineImpl.cpp[665] (Machine::registeredInit).
Result Code: 
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: 
VirtualBox
Interface: 
IVirtualBox {3f36e024-7fed-4f20-a02c-9158a82b44e6}
My Solution:
I went into the folder "C:\Users\COMPUTER_NAME\.VirtualBox\Machines\VM_NAME\" and saw two xml files but for some reason they both had suffixes.
1. VM_NAME.xml-prev
2. VM_NAME.xml-tmp
So it simply just couldn't find "VM_NAME.xml" because it technically didn't exist.
I made a copy of the "VM_NAME.xml-prev" file and renamed the copy to "VM_NAME.xml"
Restarted VirtualBox and it worked just fine.

Hope this helps anyone with the same issue.
mrmafergus
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04, Win XP

Re: [SOLVED] E_FAIL (0x80004005) / runtime (-102) on Win7 Host

Post by mrmafergus »

I had the same HEX code, but less info thereafter. All I did was go into the settings of each of my virtual boxes (ubuntu and xp), I disabled the Network adapter, then I was able to start the machines when network was disabled. I shut them down, then enabled network, and they magically started working. I'm running Virtual Box 3.2.8 r64453 on Win 7 as the host (sorry linux brothers and sisters) and I'm running Ubuntu 10.04, and Win XP virtuals. I think this happened because I just updated the Win 7 host, and it updated the RealTek gigabit network hardware. I also have my Ubuntu box setup to auto start when Win 7 boots...though I have yet to test if that still works. If I don't reply again, then it worked...I'll reboot right now. Cheers!
fagun
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: fedora 8

Post by fagun »

@RottNKorpse::::Thanks man for the solution...it really works....again thanks
wRx7M
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008

Post by wRx7M »

DUDE! Thanks so much for this! This just saved me so much time and money. I had an interim BES server running on vbox on a windows 7 box and the 7 box had something happen where it rebooted in the middle of the night. This created the same condition described here.

At first the directory housing the VMs wasn't even there... then it appeared. I have no idea what the heck was going on. I copied the directory immediately and then tried creating a new machine instance in vbox. This only took the base image and not the most recent snapshot so I was completely screwed until I found your wonderful post.

Just a note in version 4... the files are no longer xml extensions. They are .vbox extensions. so you will see [machine name].vbox-tmp and [machine name].vbox-prev.

THANK YOU!!!!! THANK YOU !!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!
gert.bekaert
Guest OSses: XP, Ubuntu

Post by gert.bekaert »

Thank You very much!!!!!! saved me loads of work!!
tribe_of_dan
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.4 LTS

Post by tribe_of_dan »

Saved me also, thanks!
SoronSR
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Re: [SOLVED] E_FAIL (0x80004005) / runtime (-102) on Win7 Ho

Post by SoronSR »

OMG i love u so much.. :P many assignment saved thanks to you..
HisShadow
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Ubunto, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Windows XP, Redhat

Post by HisShadow »

I just upgraded my copy of VirtualBox, and I am receiving this error for every one of my virtual machines. I checked to see if it was an issue with missing the .xml files as suggested, but both the temporary and the actual xml files appear to be present. Should there also be a .vbox file in the same directory?
Flook
Guest OSses: MS Windows 7 x32

Post by Flook »

Same problem as HisShadow. Updated VB to the latest version 4.1.6r74713 a while back and ever since I have not been able to install the extension pack. I get this all the time

You have an old version (4.1.4) of the Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack installed.
Do you wish to download latest one from the Internet?
I let it download and run the install and then get this error:

Failed to install the Extension Pack C:/Users/Mathias/.VirtualBox/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.6.vbox-extpack.

The installer failed with exit code 1: VBoxExtPackHelperApp.exe: error: Failed to rename the extension pack directory: VERR_ACCESS_DENIED

rcExit=1.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ExtPackManager
Interface: IExtPackManager {3295e6ce-b051-47b2-9514-2c588bfe7554}
tomgreen
Guest OSses: Gentoo 64bit

Post by tomgreen »

In case it helps anyone else, the cause of this error (E_FAIL 0x80004005) on my system (VB 4.1.8, Win7/64 host, Linux/64 guest) was the following combination:

- using Rawdisk partition access
- trying to use swap-space that was on a Logical partition

Deleting my Logical swap partition, re-creating as a Primary partition, then re-creating my rawdisk vmdk using partitions 3 and 7 instead of 6 and 7 (where 3 is a primary swap partition, 6 was a Logical swap partition and 7 is rootfs) solved the problem for me. Luckily I was only using 2 Primaries already.
aegnorway

Post by aegnorway »

My machine is 64bit win7
Did as you wrote RottNKorpse! :D
I went to the folder "C:\Users\COMPUTER_NAME\VirtualBox VMs\the name of the virtual disc"
So there I changed the 'virtual disc name - .vbox-prev' to 'virtual disc name .vbox'
I couldn't find the "VM_NAME.xml" it didn't exist, but I had VM_NAME.vbox, yes it had .vbox extension.
Remember to copy 'VM_NAME.vbox-prev' file and rename the copy to "VM_NAME.vbox"
johnbot

Post by johnbot »

With me this error occurred because I had a VMDK file attached to the IDE controller of the virtual machine as secondary slave. The purpose was to have boottime access to my USB stick which was referred to by the VMDK. When the USB stick was not available and as such not attached to my host system the guest could not be started, throwing the above error. Removing the VMDK-disk from the virtual IDE controller solved the problem.
Serene

Post by Serene »

Hello;

I have a Windows 2003 server vm on my windows 7 host. My system shut down on its own to install updates from windows. From then I am unable to start my virtual machine.

I am getting the following error
the selected virtual machine is inaccessible. Please inspect the error message shown below and press the refresh button if you want to repeat the accessibility check.

Runtime error opening 'C:\Users\username\VirtualBox VMs\vmname\vmname.vbox' for reading: -102 (File not found.).

D:\tinderbox\win-4.1\src\VBox\Main\src-server\MachineImpl.cpp[708] (Machine::registeredInit).
Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
VirtualBox
Interface:
IVirtualBox {c28be65f-1a8f-43b4-81f1-eb60cb516e66}.

I saw the above post and went ahead and created the copy of the
vmname.vox-prev and
vname.vbox-tmp files
to
vmname.vbox and
vname.vbox files, still no change. Same error. Any idea what could be done?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If you went ahead and created a <vmname>.vbox file then you would not continue to get <vmname>".vbox file not found" errors. And is that the literal error message you give? You called your VM "vmname" ?
Serene

Post by Serene »

If you went ahead and created a <vmname>.vbox file then you would not continue to get <vmname>".vbox file not found" errors. And is that the literal error message you give? You called your VM "vmname" ?

No. I renamed it to WOBIEE11g.vbox. However still the system says.
Runtime error opening 'C:\Users\serene\VirtualBox VMs\WOBIEE11g\WOBIEE11g.vbox' for reading: -102 (File not found.).