"Hard disk has more than one child hard disk (2)"

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
bitbuerster

"Hard disk has more than one child hard disk (2)"

Post by bitbuerster »

Hi all,

I receive the above mentioned error when I try to remove a snapshot. -I don't have a clue what's causing this: I used the snapshots just to periodically save the status of my Win XP guest, so the snapshost are a simple chain A -> B -> C -> D -> E.
I didn't have any problems to remove snapshots BEFORE or AFTER that respective one, but trying it upon that one results in the above error message with a detail description as follows:

Code: Select all

"Fehlercode:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Komponente:
HardDisk
Interface:
IHardDisk {62551115-83b8-4d20-925f-79e9d3c00f96}
"
(German for: "Error code .. component HardDisk ...")

Any hint would be appreciated, TNX!
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: "Hard disk has more than one child hard disk (2)"

Post by Perryg »

What version of VirtualBox are you using?
IIRC The message you are receiving means just what it is saying. The snapshot that you are trying to delete has a child and that needs to be deleted first. This will merge them actually. Then you can delete the parent which should merge it to the the next in the chain. You should be able to see this in the media manager.

Note: I don't think that you can actually delete from the middle if that is what you are trying to do. If I remember correctly you must delete (merge) from the newest to the next oldest.
bitbuerster

Post by bitbuerster »

I'm using 3.08, but don't think that this is a version caused problem. The VM itself started ~1yr ago and saw some VirtualBox updates since then. And yes, as I stated originally, I can remove other snapshots "in between" w/o problem: VirtualBox takes an hour or so to work heavily on the hard disk and afterwards, things are merged as they should. It is only with that special one snapshot where I receive that error message.
MarkCranness
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows Server 2008 R2; Ubuntu 11.04; Windows 2000 Server; Windows XP

Post by MarkCranness »

Use Virtual Media Manager (from the VB menu), find your base disk and expand the tree under and find the differencing disk ({hexUUID}.vdi file) you are trying to delete. The extra child disk will likely be one of two under that disk. Select it and note the information displayed at the bottom: 'Attached to:' : it will say Not Attached for the problem file. Click Remove to delete it.
bkarahan
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: LInux

Post by bkarahan »

Virtual Box 4.1.14, Windows 7 (32 bit/x86). My Ubuntu 10 (Android build environment) with 7 save points had this same issue when I consolidated it back down to the last two snapshots...... This solution still works!

Thank you!
inocencio

Post by inocencio »

Used this hint with VB 5.1.2 - still works great!
From my side best thanks and wishes, too :)
teedoc

Post by teedoc »

MarkCranness wrote:Use Virtual Media Manager (from the VB menu), find your base disk and expand the tree under and find the differencing disk ({hexUUID}.vdi file) you are trying to delete. The extra child disk will likely be one of two under that disk. Select it and note the information displayed at the bottom: 'Attached to:' : it will say Not Attached for the problem file. Click Remove to delete it.
This worked like a charm! Thank you!