Prevent Windows guest from accessing the Internet?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
papabear

Prevent Windows guest from accessing the Internet?

Post by papabear »

Is it possible to configure VBox so that the Windows guest, running on a Xandros Linux host, can access the shared files on the host, but cannot connect to the Internet? The only Way I know to keep a Windows installation safe and secure is to prevent it from connecting to the web. Any help would be much appreciated. Ben
Cogar

Post by Cogar »

With the guest system shut down but "selected" (in case you have multiple virtual machines), click on the Network hyperlink. Deselect NAT, which removes the guest's connection to the outside world. This will not affect the use of the shared folder.
papabear

Post by papabear »

Cogar wrote:With the guest system shut down but "selected" (in case you have multiple virtual machines), click on the Network hyperlink. Deselect NAT, which removes the guest's connection to the outside world. This will not affect the use of the shared folder.
Cooool! Thak you very much Cogar. That will make using Virtual Windows a lot safer, and I won't need to run anti-virus and anti-spyware programs, which ought to speed things up. Thanks again. Ben
Cerin

Re: Prevent Windows guest from accessing the Internet?

Post by Cerin »

papabear wrote:Is it possible to configure VBox so that the Windows guest, running on a Xandros Linux host, can access the shared files on the host, but cannot connect to the Internet? The only Way I know to keep a Windows installation safe and secure is to prevent it from connecting to the web. Any help would be much appreciated. Ben
Heh, that's the default setup for me. After hours of Googling, I'm still unable to get a WinXP guest to access the internet from a Fedora 7 host.