VirtualBox 3.1.4 Won't Repair

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
BarriSibbald

VirtualBox 3.1.4 Won't Repair

Post by BarriSibbald »

Upgraded to 3.1.4 last night. Everything went well until the very end. A VBoxManage auto script I had setup ran just as the setup was finishing resulting in a blue screen of death. My fault, I forgot to disable the script. Now I can't run install or repair and Sun VirtualBox does not appear in add/remove programs. The message is that I have to wait for a pending installation to complete first. VirtualBox is running but I know its only a matter of time before this becomes an issue. Any ideas on how redo or repair this installation?
Etepetete
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Slackware 14.2

Re: VirtualBox 3.1.4 Won't Repair

Post by Etepetete »

The problem is not with VirtualBox, it is a problem with the MSI installer service. You can put the exact text of the error message in a google search and you will find info from MS depicting various ways to handle it. I had a similar problem uninstalling software. I was only able to stop the problem by removing a certain registry entry. Kill the MSI installer service first then search the registry for <NewFeature> (it could of been <NewFeature1>), remove all occurrences of that entry and then reboot. Thereafter you should be able to do the installation again. A nice tool for searching the registry can be found here. To make sure you get all occurrences in one pass with the registry scanner, try using the settings depicted in the following graphic:
Settings.png
Settings.png (21.18 KiB) Viewed 717 times
P.S. Delete only the key <NewFeature> not anything else.