W2K Guest and Activesync

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
guims78

W2K Guest and Activesync

Post by guims78 »

hello,
i'm trying to connect my smartphone with activesync (usb port) on W2K guest in Virtualbox.

But when activesync detects my usb device sometimes it works (One time !),
but generally it freeze my guest.

I don't know where to look at.

Help !
mehldutt

Post by mehldutt »

Almost same problem here.

Guest WinXP
Host ArchLinux

ActiveSync works only once and sometimes crashes WinXP.
linuxmake

Post by linuxmake »

I bought a new Notebook an plan to use virtualbox. I have an HTC Mobile Phone / PDA (Windows Media 5) which syncronization is not supported with native Linux software.

In my VM should run the MS Vista that is installed on my Notebook. The most important thing an the only reason to use windows is my PDA an its syncronisation.

Has anyone such an constellation Host: Linux (SuSE 10.3 or Ubuntu 7.1) Guest: Windows Vista and Active Sync an how does it work?

This is the personal "killerapplication" for me.

Groetjes Ulli
mehldutt

Post by mehldutt »

try "Finch"
http://www.finchsync.com/
At least it allows you to sync address and calendar with thunderbird/lightning
toptop1200

Post by toptop1200 »

*** This message is a duplicate ***

I have gutsy running 1.5.2 with Windows 2000 Pro as the Guest and ActiveSync works perfectly.

Install ActiveSync 4.5, then restart the Guest and plug in the usb cable. The host won't recognise it and when you start the virtual machine you may get an error. If you do, remove it from the USB devices list, start up guest then plug in the USB and select the 'unknown device' from the top 'Device' menu. Essentially you enable the USB device once the guest is up and running. Then the Windows found new hardware wizard should start and you can install your pda device.

Hope this explanation is clear enough and you get everything working. It works a charm on 2000 (syncing, transfer files, the lot) and I'm sure it should also work on XP.
linuxmake

Post by linuxmake »

I tried Vista and decided to send it to /dev/null.

Instead of Vista I installed my old Windows XP in Virtualbox an Activesync works well.
mehldutt

Post by mehldutt »

Since one of my last updates on linux ActiveSync is now working perfectly as well.
linuxmake

Post by linuxmake »

Activesync on Linux ? With wine or in your Vortual Box? Your answer was a little bit confused to me.

What kind of updates worked for you?
kaefert

Post by kaefert »

ive got ubuntu 7.10 desktop i386 native and in virtualbox a winXP guest and trying to achieve syncing with my eten glofish x800 via usb & activesync

so pretty much the same everyones talking about here..

but when i plug my smartfone ubuntu detects it as "MSFT Pocket PC USB Sync" and my smartfone freezes. when i tell virtualbox to give it to winXP the freeze is replaced by very lame response, and winXP tells me "Uknown USB Device".. Activesync 4.5 is of course installed.

can somebody help me?
kaefert

Post by kaefert »

linuxmake wrote:I tried Vista and decided to send it to /dev/null.

Instead of Vista I installed my old Windows XP in Virtualbox an Activesync works well.
can you post HOW you made it work?
linuxmake

Post by linuxmake »

I installed WinXP, then Outlook 2002 (it was shipped with my HTC device) and afterwards I put ActiveSync into my Virtiual Box. That's it.

It works well but only with USB 1.1. With USB 2 support enabled there is no synchronizing possible.
Best Regard

Ulli

Ubuntu 7.10, XP Guest
kaefert

Post by kaefert »

linuxmake wrote:... It works well but only with USB 1.1. With USB 2 support enabled there is no synchronizing possible.
how or where can you disable USB 2.0?

what is your host system for the winxp guest?
linuxmake

Post by linuxmake »

I'm running Virtual Box on an Ubuntu 7.10 host. As guest there is an WinXP with all the latest updates and service packs.

Since I have the German user interface I made a screenshot:

Just uncheck the "Enable EHCI-Controller" control box.

I hope this will solve your problem.
Best Regard

Ulli

Ubuntu 7.10, XP Guest
kaefert

Post by kaefert »

danke für den hinweis!

damit komm ich schon wesentlich weiter, aber funktionieren tuts leider noch immer nicht ganz...

und zwar sagt er mir im windows jetzt nicht mehr, das ein unbekanntes nicht erkennbares gerät angeschlossen wurde, sondern erkennt richtig das das ein pocket pc ist.

aber nachdem das ding das ich verbinden will ein windows mobile 6 gerät ist, versucht er eine netzwerkverbindung über das usb kabel aufzubauen, erzeugt sich dafür richtigiger weise ein netzwerkinterface, aber hat dann probleme eine ip für dieses interface zu beziehen..

was mir auch komisch vorkommt, ist das sich der windows mobile 6 pocket pc normalerweise sperrt wenn du ihn an active sync verbindest, und erst wenn du ihn entsperrst kannst du verbinden - aber vielleicht kommt das erst nach dem beziehen der ip-adresse..

naja ich werd mal weiter rumspielen...

ps.: was für einen pocketpc verbindest du mit deinem virtuellem activesync?
linuxmake

Post by linuxmake »

This is the english-speaking part of the forum. Please use English instead of German ;-)

I use the O2 XDA neo with WM5 operating system. It's original brand is "HTC Prophet" I guess.

But the connection technique must be the same. My device get an IP adress, too.

Sometimes it doesn't get an adress. The a reboot of the XDA is nessessary. This happend only a very few times - approximately once per 50 times I connect it.
Best Regard

Ulli

Ubuntu 7.10, XP Guest