Simplified Networking

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
thasan

Simplified Networking

Post by thasan »

I have seen a few suggestions on networking. I thought I would add my two cents.

I test testing between segments. Its quite easy with VMWare by creating host only interfaces and then use a software router. In VB, unfortunately, one interface has to be created per machine plus have to bridge them. But since you can only make one bridge, cannot create "segments" to test.
kissson
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: windows 7 sp1

Post by kissson »

actually, a software router is already bundled with your windowz
it is called "ipenablerouter" in your registry , 2k ? xp 2k3 are having it
even u dont need to use routing services in 2k3 after enabled that

just add a 'tun' interface and use 'host interface' mode to connect it
you will find that windowz then can route packets

forget the bridge , vmware , software router , etc
nmp0906

Post by nmp0906 »

What would be ultimately neat is a complete virtual networking center where you can have switches, configure routing, vlans. I mean, VirtualBox is already a great product virtualizing machines, how about a product that virtualizes the networking hardware and network backbone?

I strongly dislike the setup of VMWare workstation's network configuration. A simple interface for determining virtual interfaces, where they route to, plug machines into different switches (even switch virtualization with something like a virtual CiOS), etc. Configuring a pool of adapters to act as a single virtual adapter for internet (very helpful on laptops where a person may be using wireless or wired at any given time).