Solaris Guest Additions - window resizing problem

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
howellan
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Open Solaris, Solaris, Ubuntu

Solaris Guest Additions - window resizing problem

Post by howellan »

Host = Vista 64 bit
Guest = Solaris 10u6 (with VT-x enabled)
VBox = 2.2.2

The guest additions seem to work when in full screen, but when in window mode (non-full screen), I run into problems. I can increase the size of the guest window without problems. When I decrease the size of the guest window, the display becomes garbled, and repeated resizing results in the following before the desktop session restarts:
The Application "gnome_segv" has quit enexpectedly.
The display is fine afterwards, but another reduction in size will garble the display again.

Has anyone else seen this?
Can anyone suggest a workaround?
rasta
Volunteer

Re: Solaris Guest Additions - window resizing problem

Post by rasta »

I have also experienced this problem with a Solaris 10 guest on a WinXP host. The GNOME apps associated with JDS crap out completely if the VM window is shrunk from full screen. The only thing I know to do is log off and log back in after changing VM window size.
sej7278
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Post by sej7278 »

yup me three, had this problem with all previous versions of VBox for Linux host - with Solaris 10u5 and 10u6 guests - in fact still happens in 2.2.2 with Solaris 10u7 (64-Bit) as brian says below, making the screen bigger works fine, but making it smaller causes the gnome segv.

as it doesn't happen with opensolaris 2008.11 guests (iirc) and it also happens on windows hosts apparently, i guess the problem is actually with solaris and its particular gnome/xorg, and not virtualbox.....?
Last edited by sej7278 on 5. May 2009, 17:49, edited 4 times in total.
SSCBrian
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows 8 RTM (MSDN)

Post by SSCBrian »

Yep, same here, don't decrease the window size or bad things happen. Increasing window size works fine.
silentnights
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Solaris, OpenSolaris, XP

Post by silentnights »

I am having the same problem with Solaris 10u8 and Ubuntu 9.10 x64 host.

Has anyone found a solution for it?
SSCBrian
Volunteer

Post by SSCBrian »

It's fixed in 3.1.4Beta 1 for sure, and I believe it was working in 3.1.2 (possibly 3.1.0?). This problem is a bit old, kind of went away by itself at some point.
rasta
Volunteer

Post by rasta »

I still experienced the problem with 3.1.2. Also, with 3.1.2, there were issues with screen resizing for Solaris 10 guests: unless screen resolution was entered into xorg.conf, screens, including login screen, would not always auto resize properly (see bug # 5755). However, the latter problem appears to have been fixed in 3.1.4 beta. I have not tested the Gnome crash problem with 3.1.4 beta.
rasta
Volunteer

Post by rasta »

Win XP x64 host, Solaris 10 u8 64-bit guest

Vbox 3.1.4 beta 2

I no longer see the gnome crash when going between fullscreen and windowed mode for the guest.

In addition to bug #5755, see also bug #5372 for the problem regarding the guest being reduced in size within a black fullscreen window, especially after a guest reboot. That also appears to have been fixed in 3.1.4 b2.
silentnights

Post by silentnights »

I am using 3.1.2 ob Ubuntu karmic x64. I have a friend who is using 3.1.2 on Windows Vista host having Solaris u8 guest and he does not suffer from the screen resizing problem.

Anyway, I can install an older guest additions on the guest, right? Could someone suggest an older working guestadditions for Solaris..

Thanks all.
rasta
Volunteer

Post by rasta »

I would wait the 3.1.4 Solaris GA, as they seem to have fixed two different issues with windowing, at least on Windows hosts. I thought the GA of 3.1.0 was pretty robust, but the GNOME crash problem would still exist there.
silentnights

Post by silentnights »

I have tried 3.1.4-beta2 and the problem still exist but with less effect.

When I resize to smaller screen I am getting a lot of errors about the applets and I keep reloading them but the system keeps running and after I get over all error messages the system gets stable again.

After doing few resizing Gnome crashes. I will keep using 3.1.2-beta2 tho till the final release comes out, but if there is anything I can do to help debug the problem please let me know.

Thanks.
silentnights

Post by silentnights »

Well, I have tried different additions versions like 1.6.6, 2.2.2, 3.0.0, 3.1.2, 3.1.4 and all giving me same screen resizing problem with Solaris.

btw I have other different guest machines even OpenSolaris and all works fine. The problem only applies to Solaris.

If anyone could suggest a working guest additions for Solaris... And should I file a bug report??

Thanks all.
SSCBrian
Volunteer

Post by SSCBrian »

Probably better file the bug report. I can't duplicate the problem under the 3.1.4 stable release. The Solaris GA seems to be solid to me. No resizing problems at all.
howellan
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Open Solaris, Solaris, Ubuntu

Post by howellan »

According to SunSolve, it looks like this bug should be fixed in the next release of Solaris (u9). The bug ID is 2184257.

http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document ... -2184257-1 (you have to log in to sunsolve to view this)

:D
SSCBrian
Volunteer

Post by SSCBrian »

howellan wrote:According to SunSolve, it looks like this bug should be fixed in the next release of Solaris (u9). The bug ID is 2184257.

http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document ... -2184257-1 (you have to log in to sunsolve to view this)

:D
Did you have to do anything to reactivate your user account after the Oracle takeover? Neither of my accounts (1 for each job that I work) will let me login to see that page...