Program does not run on mapped network drive with additions

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
spatters71

Program does not run on mapped network drive with additions

Post by spatters71 »

I have a program that runs from a mapped drive. Without Guest Additions installed, it runs fine. With guest additions installed, it gives me an error that indicates "Unable to determine the complete UNC path of the file name". I uninstall additions, it works. I install additions, it stops working. Needless to say, I want to have additions installed.

The problem seems similar to this: http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/1289 which is apparently already fixed.

It's v2.1.4 with an XP guest on a Vista x64 host. The mapped drive is on a server on the network, not on the host. I don't have any shared folders on the host. The guest NIC is connected to the host network (no NAT). It's a 16-bit program which is why I run it in a VM. It also runs fine in a Virtual PC XP guest with their additions installed. I really like VB and want to use it, but for now I'm stuck with VPC.

I theorize that the problem has something to do with the part of the additions that connects to shared folders on the host. Since I don't need that, does anybody know of a way to disable just that portion of the additions, so I can test that theory?

Any help or ideas are appreciated.
spatters71

Post by spatters71 »

Well, thanks for all your help folks :wink:

Anyway, I proved my theory correct. With additions installed, I went through the registry on the guest and removed keys referencing VB shared folders. I rebooted and voila! My programs run.

There is definitely a bug in there, but I sure don't know how the VB team can recreate it.

These are the keys I removed, FYI:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_VBOXSF]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\VBoxSF]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\VBoxSF]