VBox 2.1.2 installs, but fails to run ...

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
barney_vbox

VBox 2.1.2 installs, but fails to run ...

Post by barney_vbox »

Installed v2.1.2 over 2.1.0 - 2.1.0 has been functional. Now VBox fails to start:
VirtualBox - Critical Error
Failed to create the VirtualBox COM object.
The application will now terminate.
Callee RC: REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG (0x80040154)

Decided to go back to v2.1.0, but now get the same error when try to start that.

WinXP Media Center Edition, SP3
3G RAM
2.8G dual core CPU
30G+ free disk space

I also have Parallels Workstation & MS Virtual PC 2007 installed, both of which work, but don't have the functionality of VBox, particularly USB.

I could do a complete uninstall/reinstall, but I don't want to do that much w/o some idea that it would work. I've had trouble in the past transferring VMs to a fresh install.

Oh, yeah, I'm using the PUEL flavor. Have couple of Linux distros as well as couple of Win versions, all working OK until now. I think this started after I defined VM for Win7Beta but didn't istall it - but not certain.

Any ideas?
Peppie

Post by Peppie »

i dont know if this helps you but its at least a try of help:
http://vbox.innotek.de/pipermail/vbox-u ... 00045.html
joelbon

Post by joelbon »

Peppie wrote:i dont know if this helps you but its at least a try of help:
http://vbox.innotek.de/pipermail/vbox-u ... 00045.html
If you try this solution you need to change "C:\Program Files\InnoTek VirtualBox" to "C:\Program Files\Sun\xVM VirtualBox"
barney_vbox

Post by barney_vbox »

joelbon: Yeah, caught that, but no biggie :) .

Peppie: Thanks. With a little massaging, that worked. After using the re-registration process, I still had trouble. But I renamed the backup .xml files, and that solved most of 'em. Then reinstalled v2.1.2, and everything looks good ... existing VMs work, except for the Win7Beta VM.

Tried to reinstall that, but VBox didn't wanna play nice - even though I set up new disk space & config for it, it still wanted to use some of the old stuff.

Finally deleted all reference to that VM - not as easy as it sounds - and started afresh.

So far, so good. Thanks, folk.