Running a server on Ubuntu guest w/o network connectivity

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
datanasty

Running a server on Ubuntu guest w/o network connectivity

Post by datanasty »

VirtualBox 2.1.0 x64
Host: Windows Vista Business 64
Guest: Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop amd64

I'm trying to host a subversion server on a Ubuntu guest. When I have a network cable connected, I have no problem accessing svn from my host using Host Interface. However, if all my network connections are unplugged, I have no way of connecting to the guest from the host, i.e. since the host does not have an IP address, the guest is inaccessible. I tried using NAT as an alternative, but then I get an error stating that there is "no route to host" on my subversion client. Even if I connect the network cable on the host to my internet router, the client on the host fails to access the server on the guest (most likely because of NAT limitations). I should probably state at this point that the computer in question is portable, and very often will not be connected to any networks. My question is, how can I access guest services from the host without an active network connection on the host?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

See the VirtualBox FAQ for how to set up Host <> Guest connection with 2.1.x. Look for the MS Loopback link.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.