[Partial Fix] Slow boot, VERY sluggish XP, Vista guests

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
stantheman286

[Partial Fix] Slow boot, VERY sluggish XP, Vista guests

Post by stantheman286 »

Hi,

I decided to continue my issue as a new post since it is a separate issue. I am running a Gentoo host using both an XP and Vista guest. I have installed both on my ext3 partition, and have also tried them on ntfs with the same result. For both:

1) Boot up takes about 10-15 minutes
2) Once loaded, everything will work for a few seconds, then the VM will freeze for 5-10 minutes.

I started in safe mode in Vista, and it seemed to get hung up on crcdisk.sys for a while. Some posts said it may have something to do with IDE drivers, but I don't have any special ones as far as I know. On XP in Safe Mode, it hangs at mup.sys.

Both guests are using 1.5 GB ram and XP has a 10GB drive while Vista has a 20GB drive. Upping the RAM to 2GB has no effect.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am ALMOST there :-) !

Matt
Last edited by stantheman286 on 29. Aug 2007, 08:55, edited 1 time in total.
stantheman286

Post by stantheman286 »

Just a little update, I've tried installing VirtualBox OSE instead of virtualbox-bin. I tried installing the additions ISO, but I can't tell if they installed.
stantheman286

Post by stantheman286 »

Well, I'm focusing on XP now solely. It hangs in safe mode at mup.sys. I've read a ton of things about this either being an IDE or HAL issue, but I'm not sure which one to follow. Does anybody have experience with this?
stantheman286

Post by stantheman286 »

The issue looks to centered around an incorrect HAL. My XP setup hangs at "Setup is Starting Windows" which usually indicates it cannot properly detect the hardware. I am going to try and reinstall XP via repair and reset the HAL.
stantheman286

Post by stantheman286 »

Well, specifying the HAL has seemed to work (at least for XP guest) and now everything sets up and loads faster. It boots in like 20 seconds! I still need to try it with Vista. I'm not sure how I can specify a HAL for Vista, but I figured I'd try from Device Manager.

FIX (XP for now):

1) Start your Windows XP VM with Windows XP setup CD mounted and enter setup.
2) When you see the "Press F6...." to install drivers, hit F5 and F7 (I'm not sure which it is) to specify a HAL.
3) To fix mine, I set it to "Standard PC" instead of "Other"
4) Run XP setup again (I did a full reinstall; a repair install might work too)

I guess this probably has something to do with my system stalling at this message on boot:

Code: Select all

Starting the Hardware Abstraction Layer Daemon...
Although it completes successfully, it takes almost a minute to get past this message.

I have work tomorrow, but I will try the same with Vista tomorrow.

Matt
stantheman286

Post by stantheman286 »

Well, no luck with Vista yet...I know it is a hal issue, but I haven't been able to fix it with a repair install or manually changing the hal. Any ideas?

Also, my HALD still stalls on boot in Gentoo, probably related with the VBox issues, any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks.

Matt
stantheman286

Post by stantheman286 »

UPDATE: Vista is still slow despite fixing the HALD issue (downgrade) and installing VBox 1.5.0 :cry: ...
Ingo
Volunteer

Post by Ingo »

Have you tried to modify the switches in the VirtualBox GUI under Settings... General... Advanced Tab: Extended Features (ACPI, IO APIC, VT-x/AMD-V)? They depend on the HAL. Maybe your machines run without reinstalling the hardware abstraction layer.
stantheman286

Post by stantheman286 »

Yep, I've tried disabling and enabling various combos of those 3 with no luck. Thanks for the suggestion though!
smithpdo

Post by smithpdo »

Perhaps your problem is related to mine.
Have you enabled the new serial port feature in version 1.5?
I did this and the guest then became horribly slow. Turning off the serial port feature restore normal performance.
stantheman286

Post by stantheman286 »

Unfortunately, mine hasn't worked with either 1.4.0 or 1.5.0, and I don't have serial port enabled.
s1L3nCe

Re:

Post by s1L3nCe »

stantheman286 wrote: 29. Aug 2007, 08:53 Well, specifying the HAL has seemed to work (at least for XP guest) and now everything sets up and loads faster. It boots in like 20 seconds! I still need to try it with Vista. I'm not sure how I can specify a HAL for Vista, but I figured I'd try from Device Manager.

FIX (XP for now):

1) Start your Windows XP VM with Windows XP setup CD mounted and enter setup.
2) When you see the "Press F6...." to install drivers, hit F5 and F7 (I'm not sure which it is) to specify a HAL.
3) To fix mine, I set it to "Standard PC" instead of "Other"
4) Run XP setup again (I did a full reinstall; a repair install might work too)

I guess this probably has something to do with my system stalling at this message on boot:

Code: Select all

Starting the Hardware Abstraction Layer Daemon...
Although it completes successfully, it takes almost a minute to get past this message.

I have work tomorrow, but I will try the same with Vista tomorrow.

Matt
I just had this issue today and I solved it with your guide! Thanks a ton!! 🙏

I made this Windows XP machine very recently on another computer. Today I loaded it back in a different computer and this sluggish issue started. I don't really know why. But, in any case, you helped me solve it. I'm very grateful 🙏😄