Shared Folders and Windows 7

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jrfsm

Shared Folders and Windows 7

Post by jrfsm »

I am trying Windows 7 and most things work fine in VirtualBox but I am unable to see any Shared folders although the set up is the same as an XP instance that runs sucsessfully.

Has annyone had problems with Shared Folders in Windows 7

Thanks in advance
Markman-B

Post by Markman-B »

I do have these problems too. I can't get any acces to my shared folders on the host. I'm using the IntelPro 1000/MT network adaptor.
I wonder if this is correct.

The command \\vboxsvr\Data (data is the name of the shared drive on my host), doesn't also work.

I installed the lastest VM guest additions In Vista mode first and rolled back to VM Additions 1.6.6-0. Nothing helps :(

Who can help us?
petrossa
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: OSx86, Linuxes, vista, win 7

Re: Shared Folders and Windows 7

Post by petrossa »

jrfsm wrote:I am trying Windows 7 and most things work fine in VirtualBox but I am unable to see any Shared folders although the set up is the same as an XP instance that runs sucsessfully.

Has annyone had problems with Shared Folders in Windows 7

Thanks in advance
what works for me (YMMV) is setting up your vm's using a vista host, install the questadditions. Reboot the vm, set the shared folder using run: net use command, check if you see it in the drive list.

ACPI close vm.

Copy the entire virtualbox folder from vista to your win7. Make sure the shared folder has still the same drive letter. Start your vm in win7, Click on the run command, rerun the last command. The folder should appear.

I tried this only with xp32 and vista32 under vista/win7 x64
jrfsm

Post by jrfsm »

Had tried the net use command but it returns

"system error 67 has occurred

The network name cannot be found"
Markman-B

Post by Markman-B »

What is meant by the : "net command"?
This string \\vboxsvr\xxx ?

I give up. I do have to many stability problems with Windows Seven under Virtual Box. Nevertheless, thanx for the help and advises.
petrossa
Volunteer

Post by petrossa »

jrfsm wrote:Had tried the net use command but it returns

you have to setup the VM under Vista Host and use the net use command there. Copy the virtualbox folder to the windows 7 user folder. Then start the vm and your shared folder works
faldiin

Post by faldiin »

petrossa wrote:
jrfsm wrote:Had tried the net use command but it returns

you have to setup the VM under Vista Host and use the net use command there. Copy the virtualbox folder to the windows 7 user folder. Then start the vm and your shared folder works
Thank you for this info. I am a little fuzzy on where to find the Virtualbox folder. I am looking for this info. Everything else you have said here has been very helpful. Thank you.

Faldiin
jrfsm

Post by jrfsm »

Faldiin

I don't follow precisely what you are suggesting.

I am running Vista but inaddition have Windiws 7, XP and Ubuntu running in virtualbox.

In the XP environment I can use net use to map a shared folder and it works perfectly.

However when I do exactly the same under Windows 7 I get the result described previously.

Do you have any clues as to what is going wrong and any clarification of your method of getting it to work.

Thanks again
faldiin

Post by faldiin »

jrfsm wrote:Faldiin

I am running Vista but inaddition have Windiws 7, XP and Ubuntu running in virtualbox.

In the XP environment I can use net use to map a shared folder and it works perfectly.

However when I do exactly the same under Windows 7 I get the result described previously.

Do you have any clues as to what is going wrong and any clarification of your method of getting it to work.

Thanks again
I have not gotten this to work. I get the same error as you do. The part I don't understand is the folder that Petrossa is talking about coping. Where do I find this folder to copy into Windows 7. I think we are getting that error because it does not see the folder. When you type the net command minus the folder name it does not list any folders. I hope this makes sense.
petrossa
Volunteer

Post by petrossa »

Thanks again
Ok; You need to run Vista same as your windows 7 (x86 or x64) in dualboot. You start vista, you create your vm, setup it completely. After you have installed the questadditions you create the desired shared folder(s). Virtualbox saves (if you leave everything standard) in vista/win7 your entire virtualmachines under user/"yourusername". Open this folder you see a folder ".VirtualBox". Copy this entire folder to the same place in windows 7 where you have already installed VirtualBox beforehand. This need not be the same username, but has to be the defaultuser under which you have installed VBox.

Be sure to have all the proper access rights set. A good practice is to take ownership of the Users and ProgramFiles folders after you install Windows and give yourself all rights.
As this is your beta installation security is less of an issue.

Windows will warn you the folder exists already, you can safely overwrite it totally. It'll pop up several copy warnings accept them all.

Reboot to win7, startup your vm (which will otomatically show in the vboxgui if you've done it right).

Check if your shared folder is present in your drive list.
Last edited by petrossa on 15. Jan 2009, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
petrossa
Volunteer

Post by petrossa »

important: :!: (forgot thought it would be obvious)

if you run your vm without change from windows 7 it will access the vdi in your vista setup. You need to go to settings and remove all vdi's (but use the KEEP) option, and then add the new vdi's from your local store
Kileykb

Post by Kileykb »

petrossa wrote:

Thanks again
Ok; You need to run Vista same as your windows 7 (x86 or x64) in dualboot. You start vista, you create your vm, setup it completely. After you have installed the questadditions you create the desired shared folder(s). Virtualbox saves (if you leave everything standard) in vista/win7 your entire virtualmachines under user/"username"/appdata. This is a hidden folder. Open this folder you see a folder ".VirtualBox". Copy this entire folder to the same place in windows 7 where you have already installed VirtualBox beforehand. This need not be the same username, but has to be the defaultuser under which you have installed VBox.

Be sure to have all the proper access rights set. A good practice is to take ownership of the Users and ProgramFiles folders after you install Windows and give yourself all rights.
As this is your beta installation security is less of an issue.

Windows will warn you the folder exists already, you can safely overwrite it totally. It'll pop up several copy warnings accept them all.

Reboot to win7, startup your vm (which will otomatically show in the vboxgui if you've done it right).

Check if your shared folder is present in your drive list.
I'm still confused. Where is the folder? Is it in Vista? in program files\sun\virtual box? I looked there (yes I made sure hidden folders were visible) I couldn't see anything that had the name of my folder. If it is in Virtual Machine Beta 7, I don't see it there either (which of course is the problem.)
petrossa
Volunteer

Post by petrossa »

Kileykb wrote: I'm still confused. Where is the folder? Is it in Vista? in program files\sun\virtual box? I looked there (yes I made sure hidden folders were visible) I couldn't see anything that had the name of my folder. If it is in Virtual Machine Beta 7, I don't see it there either (which of course is the problem.)
it's the default folder where vbox gets installed. If you did a default setup you'll find it in the Users folder on your windows disk.

If you have vista and win 7 installed on different disks/partitions you will find the Users folder on both installs. Check Users folder, you'll see your username as folder. Open this folder. This very first folder is .VirtualBox
It starts with a POINT. Copy this folder from the vista to the win7 installation. Be sure both os's default to the same drive letter.

Default:

x:\Users\yourusername\.VirtualBox where x signifies your bootdrive letter.
Kileykb

Post by Kileykb »

petrossa wrote:important: :!: (forgot thought it would be obvious)

if you run your vm without change from windows 7 it will access the vdi in your vista setup. You need to go to settings and remove all vdi's (but use the KEEP) option, and then add the new vdi's from your local store

Sorry so many questions. Thank you for your help and patience. In Virtual Box unders settings. What Tab do you go to to remove vdi or do you not do it from Virtual Box.

Also, I found the .virtualbox folder in Vista. Am I supposed to right click it copy it, and then toggle to my windows 7 Beta and go to the c: drive in my computer and past it there? If so, I don't have the option to paste.
petrossa
Volunteer

Post by petrossa »

Kileykb wrote:
petrossa wrote:important: :!: (forgot thought it would be obvious)

Sorry so many questions. Thank you for your help and patience. In Virtual Box unders settings. What Tab do you go to to remove vdi or do you not do it from Virtual Box.

Also, I found the .virtualbox folder in Vista. Am I supposed to right click it copy it, and then toggle to my windows 7 Beta and go to the c: drive in my computer and past it there? If so, I don't have the option to paste.
It's simpler then it seems. in your user folder are stored the machines and vdi's. Also it has a very important file: Virtualbox.xml.

This file tells vbox where to find your VM and its VDI. It also points to the default installation information.

Given you have the same drive letters for both vista and windows 7 if you copy all, vbox will work the same in both installations.

Now if you are running vista, rightclick on your VirtualBox folder, select Copy. Then go to the drive where windows 7 is installed while running vista, doesn't matter which drive letter that is. There you'll find the same Users folder. Paste the VirtualBox folder to the username you use under Windows 7.

Reboot to Windows 7, if you open your vboxfrontend you'll find the machines you installed in vista. You can then either just open the vm and go to work, or release the current connected VDI from your VM. There you choose the KEEP option, otherwise you delete your vista VDI.

Then add anew the VDI but now from your Windows 7 local storage.

This is not necessary if you don't mind using the same vdi under vista and windows 7

In every setup i have tried sofar, once you have setup the shared folders in vista, running the vm under windows 7 you can add new folders normally.

I guess there's just different access level needed to access the shared folders under win7. Maybe something to do with their new 'homegroup' (improvement?). So once you created the shared folder in vista, the link has been made and windows 7 will just accept it.