v2.1.0 upgrade deletes VirtualBox Host Interface

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
bajz

v2.1.0 upgrade deletes VirtualBox Host Interface

Post by bajz »

After upgrading from 2.0.4 to 2.1.0 on Vista 32, the virtual host interface network adapter was removed from the network bridge. Attempting to start the virtual the following error is raised: VBOX_E_HOST_ERROR (0x80BB0008). Given the virtual machine state was saved; I cannot edit the virtual hardware configuration to re-create the virtual host interface as this option is not selectable in the drop down menu.
bajz

Workaround

Post by bajz »

After aborting the saved state of the virtual machine and reinstalling the latest version of VirtualBox I was able to somehow go into the settings menu and disable the network adapter completely.

I then started and shutdown again the virtual machine, removed the old virtual network adapter host configuration, re-enabled the network adapter by using the new (bridgeless mode) and things seem to be working fine.
rouhu

DHCP

Post by rouhu »

My issue:

My host laptop gets an IP from DHCP 10.2.144.135 and the VM has a fixed IP 192.168.0.1. I do not want the network to see the VM.

I was able to give the virtual network adapter IP 192.168.0.2 and connect to the VM without problem. With 2.1.0 the virtual network adapter is gone, so how do I connect to the VM now ?

Thanks, Timo
wausl

Re: DHCP

Post by wausl »

Hi Timo,

to create a virtual host interface network adapter with VB 2.1.0, try

vboxmanage.exe createhostif <yournet>

HTH, Klaus

(BTW: not working for me; see separate thread)
Spezialist

Post by Spezialist »

Hi,
i just found out, alternatively u can install a MS Loopback Adapter on your Host System, giving it the IP of your old hostinterface, and selecting it in the Network Settings of your VM.

Merry x-mas

Frohes Fest
rouhu

Post by rouhu »

VMware virtual network adapter can be configured to work with the VBoxNetFlt driver and then it works ok. The adapter comes with the VMWare player which is freeware. PC freezes after changing the adapter properties but after reboot it worked.
whoisrich

Post by whoisrich »

All the basic machine settings are saved in an XML file, you should be able to edit the XML and manually remove the entry for the host interface.
tdk

Post by tdk »

Same problem here after an upgrade from 2.0.6 to 2.1 on Vista Business x64.

After a de-install of 2.0.6 and re-install of 2.1 it now works, see also http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic. ... +interface
---

Host System: Dell E521, AMD Athlon X2 5600, 4GB RAM, Vista Business x64, Virtual Box 2.2.0
david@fleet

Post by david@fleet »

I also experienced the same problem when upgrading to 2.1.2.

Following whoisrich's suggestion, I edited the xml configuration file directly. I replaced <HostInterface name="<INTERFACENAME>"/> with <NAT/>. I was then able to edit the settings through the gui and configured the vm to use host interface networking. All was fine after that.

The xml configuration file can be found at (on Windows XP)

?:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\.VirtualBox\Machines\<MACHINENAME>
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

You should be able to edit the settings anyway. You get a warning or error that you are missing an interface name, but you should be able to change the interface settings.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.