How I got Host Interface working on 2.1.0

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
whoisrich

How I got Host Interface working on 2.1.0

Post by whoisrich »

After upgrading to virtualbox 2.1.0 I went to setup host interface networking, but found there was no longer the add and delete interface buttons.

After reading the updated manual it said the new version only needs you to select host interface, and highlight your real network card, excellent.

Except my network card was not listed, on my vista PC the selection area was empty, on my XP PC it listed the non existent virtual interfaces that used to be bridged.

The solution was this:

- Vista: Network and Sharing Center, Manage Network Connections
- XP: Control Panel, Network Connections

- Right clicked on LAN icon, Properties.
- Ticked 'VirtualBox Host Interface Networking Driver', and clicked ok.
- Edited Virtual machine, selected Host Interface
- Chose my now visible network card.
- Done :)

The entries for the old virtual interfaces disappeared once I updated all the virtual machines to point to the real network card.

Also the network bridge is no longer needed for virtualbox and can be deleted unless your using it for something else.
Last edited by whoisrich on 20. Dec 2008, 17:23, edited 3 times in total.
ojai00

Post by ojai00 »

I was wondering how to get this installed again. I deleted my network bridge because I didn't think I needed it anymore. Worked in XP. Thanks!
maletin

Post by maletin »

this is also the solution for my winXP host. thank you very much.
StepBox

Re: How I got Host Interface working on 2.1.0

Post by StepBox »

I also have Vista 64 (but Windows guests - should make no difference here) and did exactly as stated. My network card is showing up twice but picking either of the entries does not make the Hostinterface work. NAT is working fine though.

StepBox
whoisrich wrote:After upgrading to virtualbox 2.1.0 I went to setup host interface networking, but found there was no longer the add and delete interface buttons.

After reading the updated manual it said the new version only needs you to select host interface, and highlight your real network card, excellent.

Except my network card was not listed, on my vista PC the selection area was empty, on my XP PC it listed the non existent virtual interfaces that used to be bridged.

The solution was this:

- Vista: Network and Sharing Center, Manage Network Connections
- XP: Control Panel, Network Connections

- Right clicked on LAN icon, Properties.
- Ticked 'VirtualBox Host Interface Networking Driver', and clicked ok.
- Edited Virtual machine, selected Host Interface
- Chose my now visible network card.
- Done :)

The entries for the old virtual interfaces disappeared once I updated all the virtual machines to point to the real network card.

Also the network bridge is no longer needed for virtualbox and can be deleted unless your using it for something else.
ggeisen

Post by ggeisen »

so, once the host interface is assigned an adapter, what then? I still can't "see" my guest from the host. What address is the client at, and should there be a (new) second adapter on the guest? :confused:
whoisrich

Post by whoisrich »

@StepBox, I dont have Vista 64 bit, so it maybe a 64bit specific problem, all I can suggest is check the bugtracker, check you have the latest 2.1.0 guest additions installed.

@ggeisen, host interface makes your virtual machine act like a seperate pc plugged into your network. If you have a router with DHCP, check what IP address your virtual machine is being given. Try pinging that IP from the host machine. If that does not work, make sure you dont have a firewall enabled on your virtual machine.
ggeisen

Post by ggeisen »

@whoisrich, I installed an Ubuntu VM image and see in fact that the guest has both eth0 and eth1 and is assigned an IP addr correctly from DHCP router.

For some reason my RH7 VM is not seeing the new adapter automatically. It only shows eth0@10.0.2.15; maybe because of its age. Unfortunately I have to test on RH7. If any suggestions about adding eth1 manually - it'd be appreciated, otherwise I'm off to google-ville.

Thanks for helping me understand that I've been setting up the host interface correctly, it's just my VM that is hosed.
ggeisen

Post by ggeisen »

@whoisrich, used `redhat-config-network` to config eth1 at startup and ran `/etc/init.d/network restart`

:D :D VOILA :D :D now connecting from Host to Guest just as advertised!

I am in your debt.
whoisrich

Post by whoisrich »

Happy to see you was able to get it working :)

Its also a good suggestion for StepBox to try, boot an ubuntu iso in your virtual machine, to test if the host interface problem is with the Vista 64 host, or the virtual machine setup.
luvit

Post by luvit »

failed:
i can't get my host interface to show up in the guest network settings so i can have guest operate on Host interface (not NAT).
my settings were already configured like the original post...

NAT works just fine.
My host is XP with Vbox v2.1.0.
XP Pro Host 2gb/40gb
XP Pro Guest 664mb/6gb
luvit

Post by luvit »

luvit wrote:failed:
i can't get my host interface to show up in the guest network settings so i can have guest operate on Host interface (not NAT).

NAT works just fine.
ugh! (bump)

is there a xml for me to edit?
i already deleted .virtualbox folder with no improvement.

my host NIC is an Intel Pro 1000 MT.
i tried it with the original DELL drivers and now the latest Drivers from Intel.
XP Pro Host 2gb/40gb
XP Pro Guest 664mb/6gb
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: VirtualBox+Oracle ExtPack
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

luvit wrote:
luvit wrote:failed:

NAT works just fine.
ugh! (bump)

is there a xml for me to edit?
i already deleted .virtualbox folder with no improvement.

my host NIC is an Intel Pro 1000 MT.
i tried it with the original DELL drivers and now the latest Drivers from Intel.
Don't bump within 24 hours, edit your post if you are the last one. Never expect a reply in a few minutes.

Is the new Host Interface Filter installed properly? Maybe a repair/reinstall of VB will help.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
tjcrowder

Brilliant, thanks! @VB: Needs to be highlighted.

Post by tjcrowder »

@whoisrich: THANK YOU, I couldn't figure out why my interface was listed, and then it disappeared when I removed the now-unnecessary network bridge. For whatever reason, it was listed when it was in the bridge, but then the tickbox got unticked when I removed the bridge. Go figure.

@Sun: Two comments:

1. THANK YOU for updating the host interface networking to remove the bridge requirement. WOW that's better!

2. This really needs to be highlighted in the changelog for people. Best thing would be to remove your bridge before upgrading, so the installer can update the interfaces...
--
T.J. Crowder
tj / crowder software / com