No LPT1: support? Is that nuts???

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
DaveLovesVBox

No LPT1: support? Is that nuts???

Post by DaveLovesVBox »

Hi people,

Well after a day and a half and a LOT of help from folks here I have DOS 6.22 and win3.1 running. I installed the printer driver for the large flat bed plotter I need to drive and damn me, suddenly discover VBox does not have access to the LPT: Printer port.

I am screwed!

I had looked at the docs but had not noticed there was no Parallel port mentioned near the Serial port section. Aaarrggghhhh.

OK, I am back to the 486 computer and win3.1 all traveling at about the speed of honey through a straw.

What a waste of 1-1/2 days.

I notice in the Suggestions section there are almost 13,000, yup, thirteen thousand views of the parallel port suggestion. Seems like I am not alone.

Dave
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

How many commercial customers will pay Sun for Vbox with parallel support? Also VBox doesn't really support DOS/real mode Windows, so that would be the next hurdle...
If so many people need parallel support then why aren't some open source developers integrating it already?

Martin
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Views does not say much. It's the responses that counts. You know that LPT is end of life and no longer used, right? New computers don't even have one. It's a nice and pretty much requested feature, but I have no idea if it actually will be implemented.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
DaveLovesVBox

Post by DaveLovesVBox »

Sasquatch wrote:Views does not say much. It's the responses that counts. You know that LPT is end of life and no longer used, right? New computers don't even have one. It's a nice and pretty much requested feature, but I have no idea if it actually will be implemented.
Hi Sasquatch,

I largely disagree with the "views" comment. OK, let's assume only half were looking for LPT support and that is still a lot of people looking in a little over 15 months since that suggestion was posted.

I realize new computers do not have an LPT but one of the benefits of a Virtual Machines is for legacy projects. How many people do you suppose are running late model operating systems within VBox? I would guess there are many times more people running older OSs to utilize older software and hardware as I am trying to do.

Dave
DaveLovesVBox

Post by DaveLovesVBox »

Martin wrote:How many commercial customers will pay Sun for Vbox with parallel support? Also VBox doesn't really support DOS/real mode Windows, so that would be the next hurdle...
If so many people need parallel support then why aren't some open source developers integrating it already?

Martin
Martin, I thought this was free software? I sincerely doubt Sun look at features of their Open Source software to see where they could make a Corporate buck.

Also I beg to differ with the "support DOS" comment as it is an option in the type of Virtual Machine drop down list when creating a new VM. If DOS is not supported then what is it doing in that list of VM types?

Note also that win3.1 appears in that list and win3.1 is a front end for DOS, it is not an OS, so by implication DOS IS still supported with win3.1, just not fully.

As it turns out win3.1 does NOT run in a VBox anyway so the point is moot. See the 7-month old bug ticket 1502. Well, win3.1 will run in Safe mode but then it crashes VBox when I try to use graphics.

My entire need to run VBox is for an old flat bed plotter that only has drivers for win3.1 and is driven by the LPT: Currently I am using an old 486 to drive it but it is so slow. I was excited when I thought VBox would solve that issue. Alas, not even close.

Game, set and match here as I am screwed in both requirements. Fortunately I have found another Open Source process called DosBox and while not as slick or fast as VBox, it does run win3.1 and does support LPT: and is faster than the 486.

Dave