VMBox 7.0.18, Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
LiorB

VMBox 7.0.18, Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

Post by LiorB »

Having Win11 host, VMBox 7.0.18 (just upgraded, hoping it would solve the issue), I'm trying to install Ubuntu 24.04 LTS, and as I start the new machine, I get the following error:
[drm] *ERROR* vmwgfx seems to be running on an unsupported hypervisor
[drm] *ERROR* This conifugration is likely broken.
[drm] *ERROR* Please switch to a supported graphics device to avoid problems
and installation gets stuck

I tried to install Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on an identical VM, and I managed to install. but after installation, I get the same message. yet, Ubuntu succeeds startup and I get the GUI...

I saw that people experienced that issue when trying to upgrade or trying to use 3D graphics, but couldn't find anything regarding new installation.
3D acceleration is disabled in my VM.

Any ideas how to overcome that?
Thanks
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Re: VMBox 7.0.18, Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

Post by klaus »

Those errors are misleading, better ignore them. Tried increasing the VRAM size?
LiorB

Post by LiorB »

Indeed. I did try to increase it to the maximum 128MB.

I managed to install it once, but then when REBOOT, the following message:
"watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU ..."

I managed to install the SERVER version, but when I installed the GUI, I got the same soft lockup again....
EmmaDonovan

Post by EmmaDonovan »

LiorB wrote: 22. May 2024, 11:47 Indeed. I did try to increase it to the maximum 128MB.

I managed to install it once, but then when REBOOT, the following message:
"watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU ..."

I managed to install the SERVER version, but when I installed the GUI, I got the same soft lockup again....
Same here and I am confused why.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: VirtualBox+Oracle ExtPack
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

Without a 'zipped' copy of the VBox.log for the problem VM there is no data source to check for 'clues' to the possible cause of the problem and you are restricting greatly your audience to someone coming along who has had the same problem and has already found a solution.

When requesting user assistance with a problem Virtual Machine please check that VM is fully shut down, then create a 'zipped' copy of the VBox.log file. Submit that file by using Attachments Tab at the foot of the Forum's message screen; and/or if an error message was received provide an exact copy of the text of that message and, if possible, a brief description of how to recreate the problem behaviour. "Screenshots" showing the problem can also be added to you message using the Attachments Tab, if useful, but may need re-sizing and/or trimming down to remain within the Forum software's acceptable limits. No high-res screenshots of totally black screens please; we all know what they look like :wink:
ehasis

Post by ehasis »

I was having the same problem with Arch Linux (Kernel 6.9), then I switched to LTS Kernel (6.6) and the problems stopped. Looks like VBox have some incompatibilities with newest Kernel.