7.0.18 installation (security) issue

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
50ShadesOfDirt

7.0.18 installation (security) issue

Post by 50ShadesOfDirt »

Normally, I install to c:\apps\vm\virtualbox (on the system drive) ... not any longer, as .18 release seems to now enforce "windows" security constraints, and I could not do what the security section (3.1.2) said to do to make *my* directory choice work. Windows 10 host.

If I install to any drive other than the "system drive", install lets me choose any directory.

Applying all the icacls commands as admin, to each dir & parent dir of the target on the system drive (c:\apps\vm\virtualbox), seemed to work. reran the install, and it still failed to accept the dir choice ... basically, kept getting "invalid installation directory". If I leave the default dir choice "c:\program files\...", install works fine.

There's probably more to setting windows security acl's than this section of the user guide discusses. Anybody have a better set of directions, or are there some steps missing that I can't spot, or pointers to go explore?

I'd prefer to use my own dir, and not microsoft's dir ...

Appreciate any help!
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: 7.0.18 installation (security) issue

Post by multiOS »

See the VirtualBox 7.0.18 User Manual Section 3.1.2 Windows Installation Directory Security Requirements for instructions
50ShadesOfDirt

Re: 7.0.18 installation (security) issue

Post by 50ShadesOfDirt »

That section, per my OP, was followed step by step ... all icacls commands applied to target dir. 7.0.18 install still refused to accept it as a target (apparently, because it's on the "C:" system partition?). I'm thinking there's more commands or prep required, as the current wording of this 3.1.2 section didn't help me past the problem.

The workaround I currently have is to rework the disk, and free up a "D:" partition that I own and can install to, vs the os and windows security, and now 7.0.18, not letting me do what I want on the "C:" system partition. On the "D:" partition, I don't even have to apply all the IACALS settings ... virtualbox just installs to a target dir there, just fine.

No problem, I'll just reinstall and rework around all this new "security" ...