Troubles with incomplete Extension Pack.

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Air Force One
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows

Troubles with incomplete Extension Pack.

Post by Air Force One »

I downloaded an Extension Pack with premature end. Probably because of the troubles on the server side, the wrong size was reported. And so I got the 7.0.17-162950.vbox-extpack with 16 instead of 17 MiB. But the download wasn't broken, it was completed with the wrong size.

It looks like VBox has no check for the pack integrity. I tried to install this pack and VBox interface went into the infinity loop. I have to kill the task in the task manager and repeat the download and installation.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: Troubles with incomplete Extension Pack.

Post by multiOS »

The VirtualBox Downloads page does not give an indication the physical size of individual downloads, and anyway reported file 'size' (unless reported/measured it in bytes not MB) is not a good measure of whether or not you have a complete download, i.e. for the Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-7.0.16.vbox-extpack

Windows reports the file size as:

- Size: 17.4 MB (18,331,063 bytes)
- Size on disk:17.4 MB (18,333,696 bytes)

Whereas macOS reports the same file as:

Size: 18,331,063 bytes (18.3 MB on disk)

However, two checksum lists are provided on the download page so all downloaded files can be verified. Did you use either of those checksums when attempting to 'verify' your download(s)?

I agree that the Test Builds page does not support the same checksum process for the verification of downloads, but as 'just another free VirtualBox user' I don't know how realistic it would be to expect that, given the frequency of updates to the Test and Development Builds; and that there is no 'back history' of Test Build downloads, i.e. life has already moved on and the build you mentioned is no longer available.