Trying to start my first Ubuntu VM but I get guru meditation every time

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
zdxtti

Trying to start my first Ubuntu VM but I get guru meditation every time

Post by zdxtti »

I want to learn how to use Linux and I'm trying to start an Ubuntu virtual but it goes to Guru Meditation every time. I've tried using different Ubuntu ISOs but it still didn't work
Attachments
VBox.log.1.zip
(63.09 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: Trying to start my first Ubuntu VM but I get guru meditation every time

Post by multiOS »

You provided a copy of VBox.log.1 which is not from the last run so I can't tell if any changes were made before your last run attempt. What we normally need is a zipped copy of the file named 'VBox.log', not the files appended with the .1, .2, .3 extension which are from previous runs.

However, the VBox.log.1 does show:
00:00:00.500325 VirtualBox VM 7.0.8_BETA4 r156879 darwin.arm64 (Apr 17 2023 18:33:44) release log
That version is just over 1 year old, so, unless you updated VirtualBox after that run, then you need to update (regularly) to the latest release available on the Test Builds page if you wish to test what is currently working:

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds

For macOS/ARM64, I would suggest selecting the Development Snapshot option, rather than the 'Test Builds' as the Development snapshots are an early look ahead to the next substantial upgrade (VirtualBox 7.1?) and not all development features may be incorporated in the 7.0 Test Builds, which are maintenance releases; and it also seems unlikely that there will be a 'stable' release of 7.0 for VirtualBox for macOS/ARM.

Whatever you do, please remember that these releases are still classed as "BETA/Developer Previews", so are not considered ready for mainstream/production use and things may well break as well as improve as the development continues, but it would still be useful for Apple Forum members to hear about what other users find currently works as well as what doesn't.
zdxtti

Re: Trying to start my first Ubuntu VM but I get guru meditation every time

Post by zdxtti »

Thank you