Shared folder with an open file warning errors.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
science2002
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: VirtualBox+Oracle ExtPack
Guest OSses: Win10, WinXP, Android

Shared folder with an open file warning errors.

Post by science2002 »

In Win10 Pro as a host, and with VB 6.1 I experience this problem in launching from Guest OS (also a Win10) a portable application from a shared folder. When the application (an outliner) starts, it tries to open a file which is its default file.

In this attempt I got two warnings (from the guest OS I believe):

Code: Select all

Error watching file Exception, File Notification system timed out at Start/Stop
Eventually the file is opened without any further messages or problems. The same warnings though reappear if I close and reopen the file, with the application already running, while the error does not occure if is present in the internal VHD of the Guest OS.

The shared folder is on an External USB3.x SSD so its speed should be good. Any idea of what could cause the warnings and are there some tweakenings to solve this sort of issues with Shared folder?
Finally, for those with some expirience, would the USB filter (by attaching the whole SSD) work better? Or will it cause probably more issues?

Thank you.
arQon
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 16.04 x64, W7

Re: Shared folder with an open file warning errors.

Post by arQon »

Shared Folders only support a subset of filesystem capabilities, and it sounds like that isn't one of them. You can pretty much ignore the noise though: it's doubtless only watching the file in an attempt to be clever if you edit it with something else while it's already open in the outliner.
science2002

Post by science2002 »

Thanks @arQon. May I return to the same problem after further testing?

Apart from copying and pasting, which seems okay, and opening some office files placed in the shared folder, which also works, I shall confirm your feedback on its limitations.

I tried, on different occasions, to launch a setup.exe directly from a shared folder to install some programs in the Guest OS (I try to avoid copying installers into the vdi disk so as not to waste space). Yet there are occasions when the installer fails completely to launch. Instead, copying it to the guest (vdi) disk shows no problem.

I guess there is no workaround for this kind of limitation.

I read in this forum that a "Shared folder" is preferable to a USB disk bridge (it is also much more challenging to set up). However, does it offer the same limitations of "filesystem capabilities" mentioned in the post, or is this method better for this kind of issues?
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

Use the Network connection to access the file you want to run, e.g. in the Guests VM Windows File Explorer ensure you access the file via Network\\VBOXSVR\"shared folder" as below:
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-06-08 at 18.03.12.png
Screenshot 2024-06-08 at 18.03.12.png (98.35 KiB) Viewed 324 times
science2002

Post by science2002 »

Hi, @multiOS. Thank you for this very nice tip.
It is clever, undoubtedly, but in my immediate testing, it did not produce the desired result.

I used WinXP as guestOS this time and a portable application (an old version of Mathematica) with two executables (one is the GUI, the other is the math processing unit or kernel) that communicate with each other. They run, but even 1+1 takes ages to compute after the first prompt, contrary to what happens within the .vdi disk. (Also the setup.exe I mentioned previously needed to run another exe, such as a c++ installer library from the same "shared folder").

I also tried the Dos command:
subst X: Z:\
to transform a path (the one of the shared folder) to an individual drive. It did not work either. And I was not really surprised: I suspect that Z:\ itself is a result of such command that picks the path of the network shared folder.

I shall try, however, with other GustOS, and if I have positive results, I shall come back.

Another possible tip could be to select "Solid State Drive" in the VB Storage Settings. In my case at least the .vdi is running on a SSD disk, as well as the "shared folder" is part of the same SSD disk. But it will not change this issue, I believe.
Last edited by science2002 on 9. Jun 2024, 09:33, edited 2 times in total.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

I suspect that you are battling with the need to be able to use UNC paths to call the other executables, which may be difficult if they weren't programmed to be able to run from a networked location.
science2002

Post by science2002 »

I used several times few apps running from network servers in my host OS. Probably I was only lucky, but I did not meet - as far as I can say - these kind of problems.