Issue Removing Hyper-V (Green turtle) in VM (NEWBIE ALERT)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Shaquilla96

Issue Removing Hyper-V (Green turtle) in VM (NEWBIE ALERT)

Post by Shaquilla96 »

Hey guys, I got the turtle, I went through this thread viewtopic.php?f=25&t=99390, I did everything there to have the features turned off. The turtle is still here, my logs are here, My machine is Surface Pro 7 , my CPU is Intel Core i5-1035G4 @1.10GHz. I'll gladly provide more information if required. I am a newbie so finding it hard to explain. I have attached my logs below. I am unable to add the attachment of my VboxHardening.log
Attachments
Vbox.Log
(96.42 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Twisted Lucidity
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Various GNU/Linux

Re: Issue Removing Hyper-V (Green turtle) in VM (NEWBIE ALERT)

Post by Twisted Lucidity »

I see you are on Windows 11, I am too.

On line 578 of your log you can see this:

Code: Select all

HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
That means you almost certainly have another hypervisor in the way.

I wish I could offer you a solution, but I am struggling with the exact same issue myself. On my system I can see "A hypervisor has been detected" in the "System Information" panel, but I have not yet managed to figure out what is starting it. As far as I am aware, I too have everything disabled.

The only conclusion I can come to is that VirtualBox cannot be used on a Windows 11 machine, but that strikes me as being very wrong.
A new account for an old user.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

If The Hyper-V Virtualisation Desktop is definitely not active that leaves the Windows Security features which are increasingly making use of the Hyper-V 'engine'. All 'known' solutions to those are covered in the Forum Guide in the link highlighted in the OP and, at a base level, activation can often be identified via the relevant Windows 11 Security Setting options.

Other potential conflicts would be any 3rd Party applications which may make use of VTX features, which can include alternative Virtualisation solutions, Docker Desktop, some 3rd-Party security applications which use hardware acceleration etc.

Windows 11 definitely Works as Host and/or Guest with VirtualBox, providing the installations are configured effectively, or most everyone would be experiencing the same issues and the Forum and Public Bug Tracker would be swamped with complaints. Oracle would also have a major problem with its customers who have support contracts and are therefore funding the ongoing development of the VirtualBox application that we 'freeware' users benefit from.
graye

Post by graye »

Perhaps a short video might help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S8cheZUf2s
Twisted Lucidity
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Various GNU/Linux

Post by Twisted Lucidity »

Peoiple have toldme that they needed to download this from Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=53337
The run:

DG_readiness_tool.ps1 -Disable 
However, I have just tried a different laptop and did not need to do that. All I needed was

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
DISM /Online /Disable-Feature:Microsoft-Hyper-V
Checked Windows Features to ensure anything hypervisor-y was off, reboot, and the turtle was gone.

The only difference I am aware off between this laptop and the failing one is hardware. This new laptop has a full CPU and GPU, the other was mostly efficiency cores. I have zero clue why that would matter as the chipset etc should all be the same.

Happy that it is now working, but seems a bit black magic/brittle.
A new account for an old user.
minida28

Post by minida28 »

I am using company's managed laptop. I spent hours trying solving this green turtle problem, but the missing piece for me is turning off / disabling virtualization based security.

First download Device Guard and Credential Guard hardware readiness tool - latest version is 3.6 - from microsoft.

Run the script using this command:

.\DG_Readiness_Tool_v3.6.ps1 -Disable -AutoReboot
It will automatically restart my laptop.
Upon restart/boot, there will be step-by-step instructions, it will ask you whether you want to turn off the virtualization based security or not.
After that, laptop will restart once again.
This time when I run the virtualbox, no more green turtle!