Transfered files to host OS if guest OS is isolated?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
rosig

Transfered files to host OS if guest OS is isolated?

Post by rosig »

I do some works in LiveCD Linux environment and forget to attach VDI, network adapter, USB to VM beforehand, how can I save my works?
FranceBB
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Windows XP x86

Re: Transfered files to host OS if guest OS is isolated?

Post by FranceBB »

Just save the VM status instead of shutting it down, then restore the saved state when you need to work again on it.
Not fail-proof, but should at least do the trick.
Still, it would be better to actually install the OS to the vdi rather than working from the live CD as it's just a much more stable solution.
rosig

Post by rosig »

FranceBB wrote: 6. Apr 2024, 15:57 Just save the VM status instead of shutting it down, then restore the saved state when you need to work again on it.
Not fail-proof, but should at least do the trick.
Still, it would be better to actually install the OS to the vdi rather than working from the live CD as it's just a much more stable solution.
Is it possible to save my works to host OS?
Last edited by rosig on 6. Apr 2024, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
FranceBB

Post by FranceBB »

Well the problem is that to save your work directly on the host you would need to expose your host drives to the guest. This is generally done via the shared folder however those require the guest additions to be installed, which are not in a live CD. An alternative would be attaching an additional network interface set to host only and then actually share a folder from the host with whatever protocol is supported by both the host and the live CD guest (like SMB which is universally supported nowadays). It's not ideal but still...

All this would be way easier if you could actually install the guest OS in a vdi, but given that you can't this is the only compromise I could think of... :(
rosig

Post by rosig »

My works would be in the "Default Machine Folder" as .sav if I save the VM status, but the problem is how to extract them and save them as a normal file in host os? Nobody like to see my works in my Virtualbox machine only.
FranceBB

Post by FranceBB »

Well then add a network interface set to "host only"
Screenshot from 2024-04-09 17-43-31.png
Screenshot from 2024-04-09 17-43-31.png (27.55 KiB) Viewed 980 times
then in your guest create a shared folder (like via RDP for instance or whatever protocol you like and is supported by both the guest and the host) and then from the host access it from Nautilus (or whatever you're using to browse the files in the host) by doing something like:

smb://name_of_your_guest
rosig

Post by rosig »

With guest OS is running or setting the VM to save the machine status, the option of enable the network adapter is locked, unless the option has been enabled before VM running.