Could not take a screenshot (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Frzzn38

Could not take a screenshot (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)

Post by Frzzn38 »

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with an Ubuntu VM that keeps appearing from time to time. Eventually the VM stops working and I cannot recover the disk. This time I can see:

Code: Select all

ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_VM_ERROR (0x80bb0003) aIID={4680b2de-8690-11e9-b83d-5719e53cf1de} aComponent={DisplayWrap} aText={Could not take a screenshot (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=-37
I can also see VERR_PRIVILEGE_NOT_HELD in the log, and when I try to start in recovery mode it's stuck in the following log:

Code: Select all

hid-generic 0003:80EE:0021.0001: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [VirtualBox USB Tablet] on usb-000:00:06.0-1/input0
I understand that most probably this messages are not related but this is what I could see looking for errors. I attach the logs I got

Thank you in advance
Attachments
Logs.zip
(169.48 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Re: Could not take a screenshot (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)

Post by klaus »

Don't over-interpret such "errors". The one with taking a screenshot happens all the time when there is simply nothing on the screen (blanking, ...). And the VERR_PRIVILEGE_NOT_HELD is also in the log for millions of users out there, and it just means that the Windows API our code is currently using for figuring out if the system uses "Secure Boot2 is limited to administrators. Something which we want to improve eventually, but that's not urgent.

The log file contains very few hints what might be going wrong. the VM runs OK for about 30 seconds (what's odd is that the VM process seems to take a whole minute to start) and then there is no trace of further activity. You attempt to shut down the VM 2 minutes later, no response. Over 35 minutes later you trigger a hard poweroff.

Just a random observations: Your VM is configured to have OHCI+EHCI USB controllers, which are orders of magnitude more expensive than xHCI. The latter is part of VirtualBox 7.0.x... - not that I'd expect that to make a difference between working and hanging VM.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Could not take a screenshot (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)

Post by fth0 »

For a test, you could try if uninstalling SentinelOne and rebooting the host makes your problems disappear, too. ;)