Why can't I connect to a the "Host Only" adapter with my Host Only Guest adapter?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
bnewman

Why can't I connect to a the "Host Only" adapter with my Host Only Guest adapter?

Post by bnewman »

Why can't I connect to the "Host Only" adapter (192.168.56.1) of my Host, with the Host-Only adapter (192.168.56.101) on my guest?

I have Adapter 1 set to NAT, and Adapter 2 set to Host Only. If I discount Adapter 2, I can ping 192.168.56.1 from my guest, but if I enable Adapter 2 it doesn't work.

Also if I disconnect Adapter 1 and just have adapter 2 (Host only) connected, it still doesn't work. Am I missing something obvious here?
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Re: Why can't I connect to a the "Host Only" adapter with my Host Only Guest adapter?

Post by klaus »

Sounds like a routing issue, and that means you need to provide a lot more detail about your network configuration on the host and in the guest. Also: do you have a firewall which might block your pings?
kabu

Re: Why can't I connect to a the "Host Only" adapter with my Host Only Guest adapter?

Post by kabu »

Don't you have VPN running on host? I saw exactly same problem with host VPN running. If yes, try to disconnect it.