Installing Guest Additions Makes It Impossible to Login to Ubuntu

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
DWP

Installing Guest Additions Makes It Impossible to Login to Ubuntu

Post by DWP »

Host OS: Windows 10 Pro
Guest OS: Ubuntu 16 (yes, I know its old)

Just updated VB to Version 7.0.14 r161095 (Qt5.15.2) and no more updates found.

I previously wondered if Guest Additions was installed or not <viewtopic.php?t=111311>.

But I read elsewhere that the menu item for Upgrade Guest Additions would be enabled IF GA was already installed. Mine is not. So I guessed this means that GA need to be installed.

So I attached the GA CD and let it run the software. The software asked for my su password and I gave it. All appeared to run to completion without problems. So I powered-off and re-started the VM. When the VM came back up I was suddenly prompted to enter a password first-thing. This was never the case before - I was always taken directly to the desktop - which is what I want. I input my password but after a brief period I just get re-prompted again and again. I was able to log in a guest session in Ubuntu but that isn't what I want/need.

To recover, I had to restore the VM folders on the Windows host machine from last night's backup. I tried this more than once with the same results. How can I overcome these obstacles? Thanks